1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are some good big business to plow for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowTeam5, Nov 23, 2010.

1. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

I am thinking on goin to start plowing some bigger business' next season since I now have 5 trucks and a backhoe and bobcat. I have a area near me that there is a Target, HH Gregg, Best Buy, Babies R Us, Walmart and Sams club all on the same road and within a 1/4 mile from each other. The target and walmart and sams club having the biggest lots. The others are significantly smaller lots. I could round up 2-3 more subs with trucks. Would 5 trucks and a bobcat and backhoe with boxes be enough to handle all of this. Are these types of companies worth dealing with? Right now I do all the local public libraries and abunch of gas stations and few residentals. I wanna drop the residentals and gas stations.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My guess is this year they are already under contract. Furthermore most of the big box stores are under National Managment style firms, the throw low numbers at them, and then try and sub it out for even less money.
  3. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

It would be tough, but could be handled. Most people that do walmarts and such around here have two large tractors with pushers that do the majority of the lot and a couple of trucks to get into the tight spots. I don't know if I would mess with unless I had at least a large front loader with a huge pusher!
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Bigger is Not always Better...........Bigger Means Bigger Pain in the rear for Lower Money...Contact USM and start talking to them....:help:
  5. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Skip those huge lots and go after dentists, doctors, strip malls, office parks, community banks, realtors, etc. Decisions and relationships at the local level, and you don't need a front end loader to get it done.
  6. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

judging from the size of those company's lots around me that sounds like it'd be a massive under taking. the same company i believe does all those lots around here with 2 or 3 center steers with huge sectionals or protechs.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Take these guys advice. I couldn't imagine plowing a Walmart with trucks only. I would thank my boss for all the extra hours i would get but curse his name multiple times each storm. Those lots are just to big for trucks to do correctly. You need a loader for that type of work.
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Dont put all your eggs into 1 basket . get stiffed for 1 big lot and you are out thousands , get stiffed for a gas station you are out a couple hundred .
  9. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Ok, well I will look alil more into this yr and see if its worth my time and headache. I was aiming towards next winter to start tackling one of these. I have been doin gas stations for about 6 yrs now and the people pulling in behind me to the pumps and what not is getting to me now. I already had 1 fight out of it with someone in a s10. I am not the fighting type but I think i had all I can handle at that time. So thanks for the input. Keep it coming if you guys got anymore. I am not new to the plowing scene by anymeans, I have over 9 yrs of plowing but big lots like these are new to me.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

looking at your equipment you could handle one maybe two bigger lots with some small lots mixed in. The first year we did a shopping center lot we had 1 backhoe and 5 plow trucks. The large lot was about 5 acres and we also plowed a dozen or so gas stations, doctors, banks and dunkin donuts along with some residentials. Get a push blade for the backhoe and you could certainly handle a larger lot.
  11. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Why "give up" any secured account? Keep the gas stations, have a sub do them. No reason to give them up.