1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my services worth?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DRIFTER92, Dec 12, 2009.

1. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I have a 9-2 Poly VXT with a Silverado Diesel 3500, 4 Door, Long Bed, Duals. I want commercial lots b/c of terrible turning radius. Ive ran equipment since childhood but this is my first year plowing. I am available at any hour, with response time of an hour or less. No Salt capabilities on the truck. Area is West side Indianapolis. I have no insurance other than full coverage on my truck, the company knows i have a plow for hire. I assume i would work under an insurance umbrella of the contractor? New to the industry but i have been reading the forums for a while now and researched techniques and chatted with experienced plowers. I own my own business that is slow in winter months. Hours are unlimited, Im a hard worker and very reliable, running a business of my own i know the importance of customer satisfaction. I'm just not sure how much $/HR or Fuel+$/HR i am worth. Let me know guys :drinkup:

2. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Well this question will get you reamed out.

More so ask how much fuel you can expect to burn?
    Then from there figure the rest of your costs. then divide them by the number of hours you expect to work and add your fuel to it. Then you have your cost of doing it, add some money for profit (which you hopefully make, but with the way you are asking doesn't sound like you will this year.)

Different areas have different rates. Another thing you don't have experience so nobody is goi ng to want to pay you anything the first few times, or very little.

Good luck on the umbrella insurance too, just don't think that will work out for you at all. As soon as you get into a accident with that plow on your truck and the plow is wrecked and someone else has their vehicle wrecked, you will find out quick that you really should've had that insurance on your vehicle for plowing and adding the plow to your vehicle.

welcome to plowsite, the search feature will be your friend to back you from getting reamed by any or everybody on the forum. Search for your area and call around to other contractors asking them to hire you and how much they will pay.

3. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

You need GL! Atleast 1Mil coverage. How much experience do you have plowing? I'd perfer to sub for someone if you're just starting out. normally 60.00 to 80.00 per hour as a sub w/ experience.

4. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I Have 1 mil liability, i figure at most i will use 1/4 tank an hour = $25/hr expense+unknown=$30/Hr off what ever i would make an hour. I dont have a bad setup for plowing commercial lots or roads. thats what im looking at. So "ream" all you want but the fact is its not just a simple question i could search for and i have attempted already. Just looking for a general area i could expect to get paid so i can approach contractors and not get screwed on pay or ask for too much. thank you.

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Call your city and see what they pay subs for each piece of equipment. Go on Craigslist and I know there are ads on there looking for subs and most of them will have a price range of what they are willing to pay per hour. Call other contractors and see what the range is that they are paying. These are all things that YOU can do to figure out what your equipment is worth in YOUR particular area, as it will vary greatly from town to town. The thing is you have a nice setup. PROS -1) Diesel, 2) 9.2 V plow, 3) New and Reliable equipment, 4) Hard Working. CONS - 1)NO Experience, 2)Truck is to long, 3)You are limited in the type of properties you can be productive at, 4) No salting capabilities, 5) You do not have the proper insurance 6) No Experience Again. Looking at all that I would say you are wirth anywhere from $45 to $50 an hour in my area, Maybe! See how you do the first couple of storms, but I still dont think your production rate is going to be that high and your value is not going to skyrocket after a few storms. Hope this helps and good luck,

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Your worth depends on how much $ you generate for whom you sub to.

If you are looking to do your own lots as the general contractor then only you could possibly have the knowledge to answer that.

Most of the guys I have seen the last 3 years with new plows and dollar signs in their eyes I wouldn't even hire to be on a shovel crew. Most get their "rig" and expect to make what I do right out of the box. Then they seem to not realize you have to be on 24/7 hour call ALL WINTER!
    They get the call in the early AM and don't pick up the phone.
    They plow like my grandson in his electric jeep in the driveway.
    They pull up next to each other and talk for way to long of a time and way to many times throughout the night.
    They don't seem to understand "customer service" and get riled when a paying customer questions their methods or whys.
    They think the more lights you have the more important they are and don't have a clue as to when to use warning lights and flashing beacons.
    They think their 4x4 truck with a plow on the front gives them the right to drive twice as fast as they should and ride cars rear-ends when a person in a car is going slow because of weather conditions.
    They do nothing but ***** and moan about the job at hand rather then just getting down and get it done.
    They sit and watch other plow guys and even take pictures of others work somehow believing they can do it so much better at half the price and time.

How much you are worth I guess comes down to how professional you want to be, or not.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sub rates vary by area....just as what customers pay for plowing.
    Call around to see what people pay for a sub.

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I know people like to throw all kinds of figures out there, some for fun , others are serious in helping.... Now this is Canada and our dollar is a little lower than yours, but doing residentials I can make 2 to 3 bucks a minute. Thats actual time on the job. So a residential job is anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks a plowout for 4 inches of snow. This is done with a tractor and a 10 foot back drag blade on the loader and a snowblower in the back. Trucks up here are worth a least 80 a hour and more depending if its a flat rate on the job and the operator knows what he is doing.