1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Going Commercial, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I have a show-me (able 2) led magnetic mount mini light bar that plugs into my cig lighter. The problem I have is that I am ruining the cord by shutting the door on it. It is on my 2005 Chevy 2500hd ext cab. The truck does not have a sliding rear window to run the cord thru and I use my rear doors often with my kids. Do not want to run it thru an open window.

Can anyone advise me on a solution on where to run the cord into the truck so it is not in the way. I do not want to mount the light permanetly to the truck or and I do not want to buy a back rack because my tool boxes sit high enough on the bed rails and it is hard enough to see. Thank you for the help!
  2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would go down the back of the cab (or inside the bed and through the drain hole) under the cab and come up through the firewall. Probably would have room whereever the plow controller wiring was ran through. This may require cutting off the cigarette plug end and resplicing to avoid having to have a giant hole in your firewall to get the lighter plug through. You could run this through pastic looming to protect wire from elements.

You could install a quick connection for future use if you are disconnecting and removing for the season. Similar to what this guy did. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=49307 This wouldn't necessarily have to be done at the light.

Another idea:
    If you would rather not cut off the cigarette lighter you could leave it intact and install a cigarette lighter receptable under your hood. Either power/ground this under the hood. Then only have to run 1 wire to either power/ground into your cab and install a switch.

If this light is higher current draw it may be good to use a relay to handle the power so your switch doesn't heat up so.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

You could hard wire a switch and install an outlet or connector in the back of the cab. That way the bar is still quickly removable, but you aren't crushing the cord. Or you could do what Snowzilla said. I usually install Metripacks for weatherproof quick connects, and provide the customer a sealed plug to seal the outlet when the bar isn't in use.
  4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You could run it through the vents that are at the back of the cab between the bed and the cab.Most newer trucks have them.