1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cmo18, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have an older style fisher cable setup. The plow pump is separate from the reservoir and I was told by my dealer that they only made this setup for 2 years. Now my pump is slowly getting beat and I'm looking to replace it but would like to stay belt driven. Is my only option to buy a new pump from the dealer or can I find another pump that will work? What about rebuilding it? I know they don't sell rebuild kits but has anyone ever rebuilt one? I noticed that once my fluid warms up it becomes very slow, like there is a bad seal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

can you get some pictures of this set up? that way someone on here may have one, you never know

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

wow, i've never seen a setup like that before. if you can get a pump from the dealer still that may be your best option. you might want to post this in the chevy truck forum and see if anyone else on here is running it. there's bound to be someone with knowledge of it. sorry i couldn't really help you but having that pdf from fisher should def be helpful once the right person on here sees it. good luck

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That was a good set up and still is.

Try contacting Fisher, there are still some parts available for those pumps (even though the dealer tells you NO) and fisher might be able to get you or point you to a rebuild kit.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Chris - do you have the Vortec motor? Looks like it was specific for that truck. It is definitely tight in there, but you should be able to convert to the resevoir style. My dealer said they are about 250 new.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

No, the setup is on my ram. Tons of room as its just a very small pump. 250 US equals 500 Canadian haha...I'm going to contact some hydraulic places around town see if they have small hydraulic pump like it. I think its 1.8gpm with max 1600psi? 500$ just seems like a lot for such a small pump, and I'm wondering if I can get a better pump for some sort of other application....

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

if you have plenty of room maybe you can use the real old belt driven setup they had? i know you can still get those pumps as well. as long as your valve body is in good shape you would be able to get hoses made to go from the pump to the body if you had to. i don't have any pictures but the pump and resevoir were one belt driven unit.

9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i think you're talking about my setup?

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the one i'm talking about dates back to the 70's and probably even earlier. the pump and resevoir are 1 unit. the one version had a 2 cable valve body located rioght on the headgear then it was changed to under the hood on the wheel well until they went all electric. i'll do a search later and try to find a picture of it for you. it's always possible yours is the same and just doesn't look that way to me in the pictures on the pdf.

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i went on ebay and found the following pics in 2 different auctions. the pump it's self is the same pump used threw out the course of this setup. the complete setup was off a 92 diesel motor but only the joystick and brackets are different than what was on my 80. here's a link for the pdf off the fisher site for thw one set up i've used. i didn't see one for the even older setup we once had but there again it's still the same pump. http://fisherplows.com/pdf/6320_012093.pdf

fisher pump.jpg

fisher pump1.jpg

fisher pump2.jpg