1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BEER TIME, Feb 17, 2010.

BEER TIME Member

Well my problem is that I have a 1500 ft driveway that needs to get cleared and a 1/2 mile gravel road that the snow plow takes usually a 1 1/2 days to clear! This year has been a PIMA getting to work and clearing all the snow. What I do have is an atv with a plow and a 99 1/2 ton chevy. What are my best options, straight blade plow, v-plow, tractor-snowblower. Is my truck big enough for a v-plow?
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You can most defintaly put a 7'6" spor duty, but if that's all your doing, you don't need a v plow, unless yur doing commercial.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

long commute and snow

With the amount of ground you have to cover a used/surplus snow cat with wide tracks may be the best bet as it has high flotation/low ground pressure.

Or a surplus road grader with an all weather cab-lots of them around and they are normally in good shape as they are used the year round.

most all the modern graders are six wheel drive automatics for the smaller ones and the larger ones are 8 wheel drive automatics. etc.

www.dewagter.com snow cat web links, machinery for sale, parts.

www.rbauctions.com rithchie brothers auction service-nation wide listings

There are also a lot of surplus equipment auctions for construction machinery
    and the auctioneers have web sites that list equipment upcoming.

A lot of surplus road graders are set up with V plows already or can be fitted with them.

And you could leave the truck parked where you leave the grader and use the grader to travel back an forth to the truck iif you wanted to.

The smallest snow cats can carry plows or PTO powered three point hitch snow blowers

the only limitations are your time and your available funds for any option.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yep, what he said. There is no reason that can't be done with one truck and a straight blade. No need for a V.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow do you receive in a typical storm? Is drifting a big problem?

If heavy snows and/or drifting are common, you might want to get a Vee. They are a little heavy for a half ton, but you won't be traveling any distance with it.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Leon, REALLY!! A surplus road grader or snow cat!?!? Let's get real.
  7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing haha
  8. ajslands

I know what a grader is, but what's a snow cat?
  9. ajslands

Nvm just googled it, Leon he's plowing a driveway and a road not grooming a ski hill. But w/e.
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

did anyone read that it takes hm a day and half to have a plow clear it for him????????????????????????????/

BEER TIME Member

Well thanks for the advice but im looking for something smaller and not so expensive. as for it taking 1 1/2 days is cause thats when he finally gets it to. I live in sw minnesota so the wind blows alot here and lots of snow this year. thanks for all the imput keep them coming
  12. ajslands

Just get boss sport duty, or a western idk westerns plows but i know boss
  13. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Straight blade of your choice would do it. I like the Western Midweight myself. You don't need a V. A little heavy for a half ton. I know guys do it but its not a good idea.
  14. ajslands

Right on the money
  15. leon

leon Senior Member

It would have been more benefitial if the OP had described his dilema a bit more definitively
    for all concerned.

I took what he stated at face value in his blanket statement about his acces or lack there of rather than simply stating he had to plow a "ROAD" in addition to the 1,500 driveway.

BEER TIME Member

Do you guys think even with a straight plow I will be able to get through3-4 foot drifts? Just checking my options. There are some trucks for sale with v-plows and straight plows if my truck isnt big enough. Also I worry about my driveway wind rowing it so bad that pretty soon theres no room for the snow. Thanks alot guys
  17. ajslands

Plow with the storm or get snow fencing, then you won't have to worry about 4' drifts
  18. leon

leon Senior Member

For all the work you apparently have to go through, a farm tractor and snow blower will be less work and there will be no piles of snow to deal wit at all.

There is lot of good used iron in your area and the Puma 84 or 94 would solve your problems with drifting the first time

Even the smaller puma will work well as the snow will simply be gone. The Puma 84-94 inch blowers only need 40-75 PTO horsepower

to handle what you apparently have to deal with in one pass.

19. ajslands

Leon he's looking for a plow for his truck, not a whole new vehicle, and it's a dirt road, so rocks would be like firing a machine gun
  20. leon

leon Senior Member

Your dealing with a simple physics question being a body in motion aganst a semi solid mass not counting snow melt.

your dealing with a mass of snow that weighs 20 or more pounds per cubic foot for x distance.

So if you have a drift that is 16 feet wide and 4 feet high and 40 feet long you have;

a drift that can have 2600 cubic feet (rounded) of mass and each cubic foot of snow will weigh 20 pounds per cubic foot.

That specific drift will weigh 26 tons alone.

A single cut of snow 7 feet wide, 40 feet long and four feet deep will be 12 tons of material

(rounded) with a v plow or straight blade you are attempting to push the material forward

and to the side trying to push the mass in front of the truck which is being pushed and

compacted together with the action of the plow into a more dense mass per cubic foot

and the forward action of the plow is creating the compacted mass and thats unavoidable

as the weight of the plow truck and plow are pushing it forward in the case of a straight

blade or a V plow which compacts it to the point the physical mass is greater in weight

than the vehicle used to push it.

if the straight blade has a three foot height the surface area is twenty one square feet and
    you are attempting to push 21 square feet or cubic feet in to the next 21 cubic feet of material
    with the material on either side of the plow increasing the resistance as the snow is being pushed
    forward as any snow slipping sideways is adding weight to thr remaining snow pack and falling in back of the blade.

Every foot of advance adds 420 pounds of snow or more weight into the next 21 one cubic feet of snow adding that much
    more weight for the plow to overcome with brute force and if the plow loses traction because of the weight of the snow mass
    in front of it plowing is a useless endeavor as the weight of the vehicle and available tractive force is unuseable as its mass is too small
    to overcome the snow drifts weight en masse.

Its no different than a Jordan Spreader mounted on a consist of locomotives used to provide motive power for the v plow on the
    Jorden Sspreader if the snow is too heavy it will stop and derailt he Jordan spreader and one or more of the locomotives beacuse:

1. the jordan spreader has no power unit or drive thus rendering the contact area of the wheel sets useless the contact area of railroad wheel is only 4-5 square inches per wheel.

2. the locomotives wheel sets are powered but as they only have 4-square inches of contact they can only provide that much contact area to deliver the same energy.
    a locomotive may have wheel trucks that may have 2 or 3 wheels per truck.
    b a two wheel truck will have 4 wheels with a total of 16-20 square inches of contact area per truck a three wheel truck 32-40 square inches total in contact area that must provide the
    tractive effort for the entire weight of the individual locomotive which may weigh 200 tons with fuel.

c. A four locomotive consist may only have 160 to 320 square inches of contact area to create traction and if the weight of the snow is greater than the available tractive effort
    referred to as "Adhesion" to push the four locomotives and the Jordan Spreader.

3 A plow truck is no different where the contact area of the plow edge is carrying the entire weight of the plow even though it is being pushed forward pushing and compacting any snow in front of the plow with the weight of the plow is added to the mass of the snow pile weight.
    so if the plow weighs 400 pounds the weight is pressing down on the cutting edge adding 57 pounds per foot of weight on the cutting edge plus the weight snow it is trying to push which is becoming heavier due to the forward motion of the plow.

A truck or car tire only has a few square inches of area in contact with the road surface and if its slippery the truck has no adhesion for the available tractive effort.
    A small plow truck may have only 4 inches of contact area per tire and the weight of the material being plowed will eventually stop any mechanical advantage from the available
    tractive effort which becomes zero due to loss of any availabe "adhesion" from the road surface and the machinery weight.

Visit Youtube.com/railroadsnow plows to see snow plow consist being buried when it tries to open a main line with a Jordan spreader rather than a rotary plow unit.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010