1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options w/ my broken passenger mirror?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Elite Property Services, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

My passenger heated mirror on my 03' Super Duty was broken in a parking lot:gunsfiring: I am having trouble finding a replacement.

Thanks Nathan

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Duct tape?

What was broken on it?

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Take it off.... you obviously don't use it.

4. Elite Property Services

First of all the glass is broke which is heated. Secondly the mirror was broke while the truck was parked.;)

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Usually when a guy breaks a mirror he blames the wife ,not it was parked somewhere and somebody hit it.

Just check with a local glass company to fix it.

6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

junkyard. or the ever so kind stealership

7. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

$72.85 from Parts guy Ed. OE parts much cheaper than the local dealership. Great people to deal with! Thumbs Up

Not a fan of the ebay garbage, we have a set of Chinese heated mirrors on our truck and I can't stand how bad they shake on the highway. They're so sub-par they're not even worth considering

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Depends on what you buy on e bay, some are trash some are good. Got a set on my personal truck going on 100,000 miles, no shake no vibrations no issues. Also have a set on one of our farm trucks with no issues. But like I said if you are not careful you will end up with junk. But that is also a really good price from partsguyed

10. Elite Property Services

I was hoping to find a place that would sell me replacement glass or glass and backing plate so I could do the install myself.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I second this. I've bought a few parts through Ed and have been very pleased.:nod:Thumbs Up

12. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Even if you have to swap mirrors you can do it yourself.
    3 nuts and the wires are plug and play.

13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

4 nuts.

and the glass from ford for $73 that the guys listed the part number for works great.

14. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I understand your desire to only replace the broken glass, but speaking as one who's tried it twice (and broken the glass 50% of the time), I wouldn't recommend it. If you manage to take the mirror completely apart and separate the black plastic backing plate that holds the mirror glass itself, you're abuot 30% of the way there. Then you have to successfully install the glass - which is no simple trick. Then the big deal of the day is getting the whole sub-assembly back into the pin mounts for the mechanism that moves the mirror. That one will have you using all sorts of bad words.

Trust me, when we break a mirror on any of our SD's now, we just replace the whole thing. If you do want to save some money, you can buy the non-heated non-powered mirrors and they bolt right in. We did that to one of our drivers to punish him.

15. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I beg to differ. The large piece is easy to do without breaking. The spotter you have to lube the pin and push right in the center to avoid breaking it. Still $70 versus $400. :eek:

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Try amparts.com. I got a set off them. Works really well.

18. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yes, and guess how I finally learned that? It's still a PITA to get it in without breaking. There's definitely a knack to it.