1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options for a cutting edge??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

have a 8' X-Blade with the cutting edge you can flip. it seams to eat it so fast , flip it and it eats it even faster it seams.

can i put on a single sided taller cutting edge?

What are some of you guys using ?
    thanks in advance

2. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

you can put on a taller edge but it could throw off your A-frame angle and make it wear unevenly. Perhaps you could use thicker material?? My new plow has a 1/2 inch thick scraper which wears alot slower than my old 3/8 inch.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You can also try a carbide edge behind the steel edge. The carbides work great.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You can use a thicker cutting edge, also put on some curb guards. The extra material on the ends keep the wear "square" you won't wear the outside edges faster and get the proverbial "smile". The cheapest way to slow the wear is weld pieces of your old edge to the new edge

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if i recall the x blade requires a highway hole punch pattern to run the std non flip over edge on them. lots of guys here have done it and no problems thay like it.

its a extra hole on each end if i recall.

6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

i like the idea of welding the old cutting edge to the ends of the new one. Gonna try that.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

seems like that would work pretty well

8. sweetk30

not gona work good. guy here just used a old cuttin edge on a fisher for a homemade backdrag. were he welded a tab on few days later it broke the old edge in 2 . now its scrap.

9. sweetk30

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Laminating the old cutting edge onto a new one by welding could warp the new cutting edge. I did this on my ATV cutting edge (3/8' thick) and the cutting edge warped/pulled 2" over 54".

You can "hard face" weld the cutting edge; lay several beads along the edge. This is a common practice used on heavy equipment buckets and such to prolong wear. Around here a 10# box of rod runs $70.00. The disadvantage is overhead welding with a stick isn't one of my strong suites and this means taking off the edge. I haven't tried this yet but am considering it as an option. I would have to think a 10# box of rod should be enough for 3 rounds on welding.
    My Meyer has a 1/2' X 6" cutting edge, I've found a local fab shop that will punch the mounting holes, include materials for about $100.00. I'm thinking about having them lay a bead of hard face weld on the next one to see how well it works before I spent the money on the rod.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I've been doing it for years. Now I actually put a piece on the curb guards

12. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Aren't the Meyer edges only like $100.00??
    I replaced my old meyer edge a few times and I dont think they are that expensive so likely not worth all that money and time etc when you have to take off the edge anyway.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The last year I bought one and the beginning of the season it was a S. A. M. and ran me $160.00

14. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think DD is using cheep metal for there cutting edges. My pre DD blizzard 810 first edge lasted me 3yrs. Know I am only getting a season out of them doing the same route. A friend of mine burned threw his edge in one storm.