1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what are my chances of making a mount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by powerglider, Oct 26, 2009.

1. powerglider

powerglider Junior Member

Just a quick intro, I've been living in Sarasota Florida for the past 15 years and haven't seen snow since... you guessed it 2 saturdays ago when a few flakes drited for a few hours in the Mediapolis Iowa sky, but before that it was 15 years ago.

So I moved out to a great 100 acre farm and worked on the buildings to get them ready for the winter, but now reality is hitting, winter is almost here and I haven't figured out how to clear the long driveway from the road to the house.

I have a 1997 Chevy 4 x 4 Silverado 1/2 ton truck, and a Western plow 7'6" plow that uses a Unitmount system (This came off a Ford truck, truck and mounting frame/bracket at gone with the old truck, so are any wiring).

I have a small machine shop on my property (nice cnc machining center and fairly small lathes). I have plenty of material. As a welder I'm a hack, just use a stick welder and it isn't pretty.

Any chance I can make my own mounting bracket and all the adapters?

I have never owned and operated a snow plow on a truck before, even though I lived in a snow area in Montreal, I grew up as a city kid and we just shovelled snow with the ones that fit in your hands Eh!

I also read that sometimes the unimounts and the frame on the 1/2 ton chevy trucks don't line up all that well which is another reason I'm not crazy about spending $600+ on brackets that might not even line up. I have plenty of time to make the stuff as machining isn't in great demand these days with the economic slow down.

The other issue I've noticed is that there are 2 wire plugs coming from the plow side, please correct me if I'm wrong but one is a direct hook up from the battery as it has only 2 larger prongs coming out. The other probably works the controls to activate the hydraulics to make the plow move up/down, right/left and also turn the lights on?

Does anybody here have a 1997 truck like mine with the same snowplow on it they woud be willing to share pictures or short Youtube videos? I would be willing to pay for your time if it will save me some money and can help me build it myself.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

There is a complete install guide and parts list for your truck on the Western website.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That mount and harness is readily available on the used market and you would be able to buy it cheaper than than the time and materials that you would put into building one.

Mount # is 62330
    harness is probably 61515

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

why don't you boost the local economy and pay someone to plow it? save the wear and tear on your truck. if you have never plowed before, thing are going to break. just a thought.