1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are blowers that you have in the back of your Trucks.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Marshalljt, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Marshalljt

Marshalljt Junior Member

I am looking to add Snow blowers to my plow trucks for my shovelers. Thinking of something that one guy could lift out. Just looking for some help.
  2. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Toro PowerClear 721-RC. /endofthread
  3. pushinpaul

pushinpaul Member

Toro Single stage is what we run. Think we have 4 or 5 of them. Just the little simple ones
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

1 stage can not get through the heavy stuff.

2 stage one man will not be able to pick up.

Have a trailer hitch receiver you can mount a hitch 32" x 48" platform with a built in ramp. Ramps need to be the kind that fold in half so when you raise the ramp it fits underneath the blowers handles. This allows you to walk forward when loading the blower on the platform. A lot safer then walking backwards and then falling off of the platform.

Though this will not work for those have salt spreader on the back of their truck.
  5. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

I can do three driveways with my Toro Single Stage by the time you unload your two stage from the back of your truck. Get a Toro single stage OP. I have taken mine through 10+" like it was nothing.
  6. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

old toro powerlites 2 stroke. Used in 99% of snows. 2 stage is an ariens with ramps to get in back of the trucks. Depends on how far you have to throw the snow. My accounts just have to throw at most 4-5 feet from the sidewalks.
  7. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Two Toro CCR1000s, a Toro CCR 2000, and a Honda HS720. We keep a simplicity two stage just in case, but haven't used it in three years.
  8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Have TORO CR-721 that eats through anything to include heavy-wet east coast snow...the big 2-stages stay strapped down on the truck...

x2 to "End-of-Thread" comment!
  9. artisanoutdoors

artisanoutdoors Junior Member

old Toro CCR 3000's. Dealer keeps rebuilding and reselling them. Love the old 2 strokes
  10. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I think the thread has shown what is most common. Toro single stage is the ticket.

Buying new 721 model or couple yrs old the 621 are the 4 stroke machines which are reliable and quiet.

The older 2 strokes do the job also just need to mix gas, a tad louder but slightly lighter.

There are other brands out there but it seems like toro is 95% market share for the commercial guys.
  11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

The big Toro single stage blowers are the goal. Right now I have 2 newer craftsman 21 inch 179cc that are beasts. They did 30" drifts in our big snow last year, and 6"+ wet heavy in our nov slop storm this year. My 2 stages come out with us about 2 times a season. My personal truck blower is the Toro 18" 99cc that I can lift onto a platform between my spreader and cab. The wet stuff this year was too much for it.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  12. jdavis11

jdavis11 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I second this comment. There are no need for 2 stage blowers in MOST storms here in central Ohio. We use Toro 621R blowers due to their weight, simplicity, and ease of starting. They run just under $500 each and we figure they are paid for with one 2"+ snow event. They are a no brainer for our company.
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Same as others,just bought all new toro 212 cc 4 strokes to replace the 8 2 strokes that have been great.We have one 2 stage that rarely goes out.Got 2 of the mighty snow commanders that I'll hate to see go,they're beasts
  14. pnoone

pnoone Member

So these Toro single stages weigh maybe 80-90 lbs and one guy can lift them up over the side of a truck bed that has a spreader in it? Or you guys are running flatbeds?
  15. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

If he is tall enough I can barely grab a shovel over the side of my truck bed lol
  16. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I'm running a flatbed and do lift it up to the bed. I'm 55 and it keeps me in shape. Only gets tiresome on the days when I make 2 stops at each place. If there are only 2" on the ground the shovel does the work.
  17. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty much the same as everyone else, Toro or Honda single stage. I used to have a Toro Powerclear 3650? I think is what it was, great little blower until it blew the motor, now I have a Honda 520 that is an absolute animal.
  18. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

The big single stages are well over 100 lbs. 1 guy can get them to a tailgate, 2 guys for over the side rail. The small Toro I can lift over the bed rail to a platform in my bed, it just won't do everything the big ones do. My other trucks do most all of the blowing and hand work. I rarely get out of the truck anymore.
  19. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but we made an offset hitch, that moves the spreader 8 inches to the passenger side. With the tailgate removed you can put the blower on the back without throwing it over the side. At 83 lbs, the Toro 721 is pretty heavy to do that with. If anyone wants pics, let me know. It's not like we're plowing snow or anything.
  20. pnoone

pnoone Member

Very cool! Yeah, I'd love to see pics. It's in a snow in our neck of the woods between 1/15 and 1/19. For certain. Because that is when I'm out of he country for a few days.