1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What an odd year already

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

First off I get a call from are biggest competitor, asking if he could be are sub. because he is loosing all of his work to us. I told him I never went after any of his jobs, they all came to me. His clients said he would get upset and not show up and if he did he would plow in all the cars that were there. We talked on the phone for at least a 1/2 hour. He would not let it go, he would do whatever it took to get these accounts back. Then come to find out he sold his business to another company and promised them all of these accounts we got from him at the end of last year. So I'm guessing they won't give him full payment since he has lost so many accounts.

Second- We lost one of are biggest clients to this other company, not the one above. But we lost it by 1/2 the price of us, the client told me he couldn't believe how high we were for so many years that we serviced them. I told them we gave them a very fair price and cannot go any lower. But before you could even bid on the properties you needed to provide proof of Ins. This other company said they did and won all the properties. About a week later the client calls me and asked if I could service his accounts again. I ask why, he said I told the other company to send proof on Ins. and they refused too, he ask why's that and they said they cannot affoard Ins. and have never had it. I was shocked because this company run's around in all brand new trucks, enclosed trailers, lawn mowers. Whats The Deal!!

Anyone else have wierd stories like these??
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That 2nd part is just the best ! That's the best ending that we all want to hear
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

The insurance thing honestly doesn't surprise me. It's just like betting big in Vegas. They're all in that they don't have a claim. And when they do, you will be able to bid on all their equipment at an auction next spring when they loose the lawsuit and the bank takes everything back. When I was on the private side I always stood by my prices and I would say 75% time customers I lost to lower prices came back when the person or company who outbid me did not have the proper insurance. Nowadays it amazes me that people still don't ask for proof of it when bidding. At least the company you referred to did and it proved to be good for them.
  4. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Well about 5 years ago we had a client who would have up to 18 different companies bidding on there lots and all the bid sheet said was, needed to have $1,000,000 in Ins. to place a bid. I ask them to change it to need to send in proof of Ins. with your bids, just to make sure everyone was being honest, the next year only 4 of the 18 placed bids. It just makes me so upset how many companies out there are running with none and getting away with it.
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

When they called back, the price would go up 5%. When that got them upset, I would tell them my insurance bill just came in.
  6. Buswell Forest

from NH

Also, I got an account this year that the previous guy lost because he refused to go back and clean up the mess he made plowing last winter...all the guy had to do was go back and rake some gravel up and return it to the driveway..and he said "No.."..$40 for all of 10 minutes of my time now.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you get it back,a lot of times they are embarrassed to call back to say they made a mistake.
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I would have rasied the priced for sure. That's good that you got the account back.
  9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would have loved to hear that you raised the price, but OTOH, by not doing so, you've probably gained their trust, and "HOPEFULLY" won't have any issue with them in the future.

Great story !
  10. Plow 4 U

Plow 4 U Junior Member
    from NE WI

I have a similar story to your competitor calling to sub for you, last year we picked up two properties, smaller lots 1-1.5 hrs to plow, nice accounts tho cause lots of sidewalks and salting. We received lots of compliments and both managers told us our service was the best they have had in 10 years of operating. This fall when I didn't receive their contract back I called and the owner said they were extremely satisfied but that they were switching to one of the asst. managers friends and that it was "complicated", and that she felt bad and would be glad to be a reference for us. The conversation was friendly and I told her to call if she needed us in the future. A few weeks went by and then the new contractor called me to ask if id be willing to salt his accounts as he is not equipped, I politely told him that I was to busy.
  11. Buswell Forest

from NH

Nepotism....ain't it great?