1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Am I Getting Into

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jjcc246, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jjcc246

jjcc246 Junior Member

what am i getting myself into if i change the pivot bolt on my 24D? it feels pretty loose and woobley. i know it's not going to tighten, the plow is about 10 years old so i thought i would change it out. anybody done it ? am i going to run into problems ? or should i save it for a summer job ? i have torches and welders if needed but let's hope it doesn't get to that. thanks
  2. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

replace bolt?

You probably have a worn bolt as well as an egg-shaped pivot hole. If you are/know of a good welder, you can get a carbon rod the same dia. as bolt and put it in the bolt hole and build it up with weld and the weld will not stick to the rod. Then pull out the rod , a little grinding and new bolt should be good to go. there are kits that have different size rods in them . Google for them. Jackster
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check to be sure the center pivot in the swing frame isn't broken loose. If not take your time and get the stuff together to fix it. Check to see if the bolt will tighten or loosen. If not you need to have a new bolt and nut ready if you do it during the season. Waiting depends on how bad it is.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It's not that hard of a job. I am guessing the hole is worn badly too.