1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by brbcbrent, Dec 8, 2008.

1. brbcbrent

brbcbrent Member

Yesterday we got 5-6" in the span of about 5 hours...first plowable event of the season. Ambient temp was about 29 degrees so this stuff was a bit wetter than normal. I'm thinking this is great, I get to try out my new 8' pusher on my T300.

Here are the highlights:

The Good:

- This thing can stack a lot of snow!

- I could move way more than with just my bucket (often pushing clear across the lot and stacking everything in one place)

The Bad:

- Even after the same amount of time as I would taken with a reg. bucket the lot looked way worse when I was done

- I could never get the dam thing to find pavement so I wasn't leaving a trail of snow under me (even after I dropped the rubber edge down another 1/2")

- I couldn't see if the skis were flat on the ground so I ended up having to lean outside the cab on a regular basis to make sure I was positioned right for the pass

In all it was a frustrating evening, I'm chalking it up to first-time use with new equipment but I thought maybe I'm missing something important here...I hope this isn't the norm for these things...

here's a pic:
    (of the machine...the job was an embarrassment)

[​IMG]

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I cannot tell you what the problem is, but i can tell you that i use a 8' pusher on our S-185 and it works great. I would think you just need to spend some more time in the seat and get used to it.
    I dont run our machine much but i know you dont need to get out to see if its working. Just back up and look for black pavment, once you find that point just leave it at that angle and just raise the arm up and dont mess with the tilt/dump of the bucket.

PS nice setup!

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Just bought an 8ft compact series with rubber edge for our new kubota! Haven't tried it yet tho :p but keep an eye out for pics comming soon!!!

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your rubber is correctly adjusted first off. There is also nothing wrong with geting out and looking to see if your pusher is running level when you first start. I personally hate rubber because it won't scrape clean in a lot of conditions.

5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Try looking at the top edge of the pusher in relation to the bottom edge (side view) to get a eye for how it should look when level. Everyone has a learning curve, can't always be perfect the first time. However, tracked skids don't push the best.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Look at the picture you posted, see how its tilted forward, that would be enough to have caused all your problems. Practice will make perfect.
    good luck:drinkup:

7. cricket

cricket Junior Member

I had same problem first time I used it,but after couple of hours of playing with machine I was doing better and better.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I dont like rubber edges either, but check out the avalevel on the avalanche site. It may help. Also try repositioning the rubber edge further down so it drags a bit more. These are incredibly useful and efficient when used correctly. Good luck.

9. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Hello Canadians!

I work at the Pro-Tech factory...Do not adjust the rubber further down, it will not clear better.

However, to properly adjust the rubber:

1. Put pusher on level flat surface
    2. Put pusher on ¼” to ½” shims to keep rubber off ground
    3. Tap rubber down so it’s firmly to the ground and is level
    4. Torque to 60 lbs. *note steel hold down may pinch in this is OK*
    5. Take shim stock out from under pusher
    6. Rubber cutting edge should be positioned like a “squeegy”

Lastly the unit being level is key to optimal clearing. We sell a level guage, so you do not have to stick your head out of your cab and we also sell upgraded self leveling wear shoes.

10. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i ve run a pusher on a back hoe a few times the first time was absolutely maddening but after 3-4 hour of motherfuckering everything in sight i was pretty proficient it is very impoertant to pay attention to the level of the pusher. i am sure you are but you have to understand that as the grade changes in the lot you need to compensate for the change, thats the hard part knowing when so you dont leave trails. by the end of the season you be a pro

also just a thought does the arm on the cat have a float detent if it does make sure your level and float your way acroos the lot. might work might not but worth a try

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

nice setup, i just got the same box for our deere tractor. We have an auto leveler on it though so i can raise it up to eye level, level the shoes and then just drop it down each time and know its pretty square on the ground, do they offer a kit for the bobcat like that? maybe would help for this at least.

12. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Junior Member
    from CT

I use a 14 ft pusher like your 8ft on a 310JD and found that a powder snow will definatley be cleaner than a wet snow in MOST cases.The pusher moves mad volume quickley and keeps it from piling up.Some times you gotta bite the bullet and put a plow truck behind to scape up after it. Salt almost always makes a 1/2' of skim dissapear.
    the nice thing about the rubber edge and skid shoes on the ProTech is how you, can floatit over curbing and not do any damage. we call it Luigi the squigi .

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

from everything i have learned on here, i'm under the impression that the rubber edges are not made to clean down to the pavement, they are made to leave snow on the lot...this is what my impression is. if you want a clean lot you need a steel edge....this is what i have and i got to use it today for the first time and it worked great, thanks to all of you that helped me decide to get a steele tripper...