1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What am I doing wrong here?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Dec 31, 2015.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

So I'm just getting used to using an inverted blower, this isn't my blower and it's too small but this is still too slow. My new blower will be 20" wider than this one but I still think there's something wrong with my technique and I should be under 2 minutes. Any ideas would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6Eac0KqnI

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. dycproperties

dycproperties Member

Hi Nick your actual travel speed when blowing seems a bit slow we move a little quicker on the drives also how wide is your blower ? Seems like a lot of passes

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

A 92" blower will definitely speed you up, as long the tractor has the weight and power to handle it. The 2 cars parked on eitherside of the driveway are hurting your speed too. If they weren't there, you could stop one the blower gets past the curb. That way the spoils that didn't get blown away are lined up for easy removal. On my drives, i quite often find that as i get to the road and need to slow down, i put the tractor in neutral, but keep the PTO speed up to help clear that last bit at the end of the drive. My "larger" 3 stall drives are about 38' wide, 50' long and narrow to 20' at the road. With my New Holland TL100A Deluxe i am around 2 minutes. If it's deeper than 8" it takes just about 15-30 seconds more. Two stall garage drives are around a minute and 20 seconds.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Never used one,so if it's a stupid question, gimme a pass. Is there a reason why you don't make a pass going forward towards the garage instead of only doing passes in reverse?

5. NickSnow&Mow

My blower that ordered is a pronovost 74". This blower in the video is only a 54". I agree I normally drive faster but it's not that long of a driveway and there where cars on both sides. It was also very icy so I didn't want to slide into the garage.

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

54" is a small blower. 74" will help obviously. ...what PTO HP do you have?

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I also have never used one, so this might also be a dumb question... that snow looked extremely light so can you just drag all that to the road then blow that one pass? More or less use the blower as a plow then use it as a blower at the bottom??

8. NickSnow&Mow

37 pto 46 engine.

9. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Ok. I used a 50 HP PTO tractor once. It was a nice rig, but 100 HP spoiled me.

10. NickSnow&Mow

Very true and I have done that before its just more of a pain blowing it off the road than it is in the driveway. I've found I hate blowing off the road with an inverted because most of the time you're getting farther and farther away from where you want to blow it.

11. NickSnow&Mow

Ya definetly nice at times but not much fun driving through town.

12. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The inverted blower wont be able to "drag" much snow, especially when it gets deeper, without the snow spilling out the sides of the blower, which will require many passes to clean up. With practice and some technique, there is minimal snow left at the end of a pass. For us it's not a problem because part of our service includes clearing in front of the mailbox and making one pass in front of the driveway to minimize the amount of snow that can be pushed back into the drive when the municipal plows go by.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Besides the limitations of the width of the blower you're loosing time cleaning up the street. Each time you pullout to the street you went further away from the curb (red dash lines) which added additional passes/time.
    Pulling out a couple feet from the curb (green dash line) requires less clean up passes and also limited the likely hood of a passing vehicle to run it over and spread the snow out even further.

nick.jpg

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe need some snow to blow,?

15. bdbwtie1

bdbwtie1 Junior Member

1. Bigger Blower!!
    2. Try to always have your pto, chute direction ready to go when backing in. The first pass you sat for a while getting situated.
    3. As others stated line all you pulls up so you only have to make one cleanup pass.
    4. Recommendation. Keep your chute deflector down. Projectiles fly a long ways out of these(ask me how I know) :(. Most of your runs your deflector is pointed up which would send anything hard and heavy flying towards that expensive house. Not to mention the new vehicle that is getting covered in snow.

just my .02

16. Sawboy

Still wondering why ya can't make a pass going forward?

17. NickSnow&Mow

Sorry forgot to reply. It would take 10x as long if you did that. How are you supposed to get close to the garage that way? It's so easy to drive out to the road it would take 3x as long to turn around. On a super long laneway I agree but not in your average driveway.

18. Sawboy

Huh? In your video, when you're coming back to the garage, why can't you have the broom down? That way your blowing snow out when you back to the street, and again as your driving uo to time door. No turning around......you're already driving to the garage.

19. NickSnow&Mow

What? This isn't a pxpl who the heck am I supposed to blow snow in two different direction?

20. Sawboy

From the :28-:53 second mark your are traveling away from the garage door with the broom down throwing snow.

From the :58-1:03 mark you drive back towards the door with the broom up, not throwing snow. Is there a reason you can't you have the broom down as you come back to the garage door?