1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What all do I need

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LukeMI, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LukeMI

LukeMI Junior Member

I am looking in the used plow market for my 1994 K2500, Looking at older style plows where the mount and lift stays on the truck (lack of storage space and tight budget) and I have a few plows I am going to be looking at here shortly. What do I need to make sure is there? obviously the mount and lift/pump. hydraulic reservoir? any specific controls?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Details of what you're looking at would be helpful, Meyer, Western, Boss, Fisher, Blizzard, etc.... would be a good place to start.

3. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

get a boss. Details on what you plan on plowing (commercial or residential) would determine the plow... however do not leave the plow hang on the front of your truck unless you plan on buying new springs for your truck every other season.

Let me know what you plan plowing !

4. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I have always had great luck with Western plows.

5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I just picked up a used 9' boss, have $2100 in it.. Paint still looks great, we have used it twice so far. It's been great.. I have never had a boss let me down.. I ran meyers for ever, had a brake down every storm..

Boss all the way, I like western as well.. I hear fisher is a lot like the westerns and guys swear by them..

Don't go cheap, piece the set up together it's cheaper.

6. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Luke, when you look at the plows, make sure the push frame and lift frame will fit your truck, otherwise you will need to get different frames or customize the ones that came with it to make it fit your truck. Most of the pumps have the reservoir built in to the pump unit, and some have a solenoid that mounts on the inner fender to supply power to the pump motor. As far as controls, I don't know how old a setup your looking at but you don't want the cable operated setup. They are a lot more difficult to install and can be a major pain in the butt. When you go to look at the plow get down and look at the cutting edge to make sure it's not shot, or else you will need a new one before you get started, also look across the edge to make sure it's not bent or twisted. Look at the sector, that's the rounded piece of steel on the rear of the blade, that allows the plow to rotate left and right to make sure that's not bent or twisted. Also look at the chrome part of the angle cylinders to make sure they are not rusty or pitted.

7. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

I would get a plow which is a little older but still capable of detaching easily. A Western Unimount would be a good choice, it is older so price is lower and parts are readily available. There are other brands which are similar.
    Hope this helps!

8. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Look for a western. Also if you have couplers you can drop just the blade and leave the frame on truck. but in the off season i would store it. A lot of wear and tare just hanging around on the truck.