1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What about this for a plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Jan 30, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I was looking at Craigs list and came across a 1984 Chevy Blazer Diseal Motor previous military issue.To locate go to Craigs List .com search New York State, cars/trucks Ithaca (Lansing)Janurary 30th .It is Green with numerous pictures.He wants $1600.00 for those who are familiar with Blazers is this a truck you could mount a 7.5 Western Ultra mount.Would it plow well, what problems might I encounter and what expenses would I be looking at down the road.Is the price ok.I have never owned a diseal or Blazer.Dave

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

family friend of mine had an 89 2 door with the diesel and the body just about fell off it but still ran good plug it in and a couple hours later away u went

3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Those diesels were based on a gas engine block as I recall and were generally regarded as pretty poor. Parts for it are going to be harder & harder to find. I would keep looking.

Many folks plowed with the older full-size Blazers, Broncos and Ramchargers and liked them.

Just my $.02

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This is a common misconception. The 6.2 diesel was a blank sheet design. Yes it does have some common parts with the small box 350. Buts it all diesel design. The 6.2 diesel has a common problem of the injector pump going every 60k miles, and constantly burning up its glow plugs. Along with being very under powered. There are lots of parts still available for them, I have seen one with 200k on it still ticking away.

DAZ982500 I wouldn't give him more than $1000 for it. As you can still get them off government auctions for as little as $50. Yes $50, seen it a couple of times.

5. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Since its military spec it should have one ton axles. It will also get great fuel milage. Only down side is if it hasn't been converted its going to be 24 volt, which can be a pain to add stuff to, unless you convert it to 12volt.
    I'd love to have a couple of those to plow with.

6. WisEd

WisEd Junior Member

The military Blazer is a M1008 CUCV, it has a dual electrical system. It has 24V for the starting system, slave, and for radio hookups and 12V for the rest of the electrical. The 6.2 is not the old 5.7 diesel, that was a failure, it's a good light duty diesel, but under powered.
    The starter is 24V and the glow plugs are for the 24V system, GL12s. It has dual alternators, one to charge each battery. It has a Dana 44 front end and a 10 bolt rear with posi, but it only has 307 gears. It has a turboHydro 400 short shaft transmission and a 208 transfer case.
    The glow plug control cards for the CUCVs are getting real hard to find, so if it burns out you will need to connect the glow plug circuit to a switch or control button to run the glow plugs.
    Remember the keys are all the same for all the CUCVs, they all fit every CUCV, so maybe you should change them if you get it.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The M1008 were the 5/4 ton cargo pickups.

The M1009 are the Blazers.

Helps if your doing any reasearch on them.

And they make great plow rigs.

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Gotta hand it to ya, you know your stuff !! :nod:

9. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Truck is gone less than 5 hours must have been a good deal.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

An awful lot of those trucks are really low mileage and rust free, they are worth a good buck!

If anyone comes across any in the $50 range, I will buy EVERY one of them!!! :jester:

11. WisEd

WisEd Junior Member

Right now scrap autos are going for $170 a ton, so at $50 to get a truck you could make out OK. Sounds like a good idea.

12. derekbroerse

Ya, but you'd have to be a fool to do that, with the kind of money they command on ebay...

13. WisEd

WisEd Junior Member

The salt here eats 'em up pretty fast and completely, it's a shame, all the neat iron that gets destroyed by the salt.

14. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

I have a 81 blazer that I have a 7 1/2' meyer on and I love it. I found a army blazer 5 miles from my house and one 30 miles away so I'm going to look at them om sat.The one he told me $500.00 with no interior and the other one $1000.00 ready to go.

15. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

There's a local restaurant owner with one of those with a 7.5' plow. Seems to move the snow pretty good.

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Those old military trucks quite often sell for a lot of money,

If you watch them sell on ebay, some of them sell for a high price but I think the 5/4 ton M1008 Chevys are worth it if the body & running gear is solid and would make a much stronger plow trucks vs what is being sold today. The only down side of the CUCV's would be 6.2 diesel IMO.

I wish I could lay my hands on an M1008 for my next plow truck.

17. derekbroerse

I don't even see the 6.2 as a negative for a plow truck. As long as it starts in the cold, you're laughin'... sips fuel to the tune of almost exactly HALF my 350 truck... and since I used to plow with a 305 in my first one-ton and it worked fine I'd say it would have plenty of power, especially with a manual tranny...

I'd say the downside is messing with the 24 volt stuff...

18. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

So far so good

I picked up an 85 military blazer and put a old conventional 8-2 V on it. The guy I bought the blazer from repaired the body and linexed the whole interior. So far the truck has been great. I was worried about fogging windows and not being able to see out the back, but that has not been an issue. The short wheel base works great in the smaller lots and the 6.2 has plenty of power to push snow. We just pushed a wet 6ins with no problem at all. Plus it is great on the feul consumption. I did alot of research at dieselpage.com. If you are able to fix the small stuff when it needs it, I would say an older blazer would work.

19. WisEd

WisEd Junior Member

The M1008 & M1028 CUCV pickups have Dana 60 fronts and GM 14 bolt rears with 456 gears and posi. The M1028s have posi in the front too. Plenty of suspension to hold up a plow.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Technically the 14 bolts didn't use a "posi" style diff, they were true locking diffs. They used Detriot No-Spins, which most know as a Detriot locker.

The front D60's did use the "posi" style diffs though, as they used Dana's "Power Loc" clutch style limited slip.