1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what about skids

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by willie dexter, Dec 14, 2006.

1. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

is it nessesary to run them? i know some of you say steel edges scrape better but if your edge is not touching then how can it scrape?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I only used mine on gravel. Even then you really don't need them at all. I would never let mine touch any pavement. You are right, if the blade does not touch the ground, then it doesn't scrape.
  3. kingplow

kingplow Member

we always take ours off the only people i ever see run them around here are new people too the plow world cuz its always fun when you catch them in a pot hole

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

They are still sitting in the back of the truck after last year. Good for holding the door open at the garage.:nod:
  5. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

We have never used them, once you learn your plow you can raise it "just enough". Gravel or 3/4 minus drives is most likley what you will be using them for, and we service very few of these.
  6. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I only use my skids on this one driveway that is asphalt with tarred on 1/4" blue stone. Pain in the butt to get out and clear put them on, but the driveway pays good and I have heard horror stories of leaving the shoes on all the time.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Chip and seal---I would treat thoes like a gravel drive also, shoes on.

Other wise. When plowing in dirt or gravel, lower the plow shoes. This will raise the blade so you don't scrape the surface away. When plowing on asphalt or concrete, raise or remove the plow shoes so that you scrape as close to the surface as possible.