1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What a winter it has been....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetesYC, Apr 7, 2008.

1. PetesYC

PetesYC Junior Member

So the last two winters we have had about 6 plowable storms for residentials. This year we are over 15 which is great. I use a 1998 dodge 2500 and do a combination of 37 drives and private roads. In January I fell on a sidewalk and broke my ankle in 3 places requiring surgery ect. I am still in a walking cast and have another surgery thursday. Needless to say it made it tough this winter, kinda hard to plow with a cast on. So I subed alot of work out and had a guy run my truck. Anyways, my truck was a huge headache on top of all this, lost radiator, alternator twice, transmission, and plow pump. The transmission was replaced with a rebuilt and has been back 3 times already in less then 300 miles. Stopped in the middle of a storm since its been rebuilt and still is not running right. radiator was replaced this summer when I rebuilt the motor but warranty wouldnt cover it as I used stop leak!!! Alternator was covered as I replaced that this summer also. Anyways, needless to say I had some angry customers, between subs and my truck breaking down. I grew alot this year and its hard to say no to new customers. So I bought a 1999 Ford F350 with a 8 foot diamond plow. Now I have two trucks... Oh yeah my dodge is broke again.. starter is gone.
  2. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Figures, the dodge broke down...might as well scrap the F350 as well while the price for metal is high...haha

Buy a chevy wesport

Hopefully everything with your ankle is better now, good luck!
  3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

thats good to hear, i had an old dump that just kept causing problems i sold it bought a new truck and couldnt tell you now how happy i am with my f350 powerstoke. best luck and keep growing.
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have all 3 of the big three manufacturers. Some old, some new, one common bond. . . they all break!!! Good luck and sorry about your breakdowns. Better this year than on a year with no snow?
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if ur not breaking stuff, ur not plowing fast enough - wait dont say that

" THEY ALL SUCK THE SAME" all the trucks so buy whats in ur price range, and u get a deal on
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Stuff breaks, stuff wears out what are you going to do? Buy new? I would rather fix a truck that's paid off. I spend less then a month's payment a year on parts to keep The Big Red Drain the job. I will have a tear run down my cheek when they tow it away.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

just didnt seem like u season...but you take the bad with the good...seems like u figured it out...u might have not have picked the "best subs" this year but if anything u learned for this whole thing...always have good reliable help on the side just in case...life is a learning curve just remember that...what doesnt break u, makes u stronger...

good luck with everything on the leg man and get back out there stronger