1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

What a rip!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by foggyjr5, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. foggyjr5

    foggyjr5 Member
    Messages: 77

    So I started to replace the brakes in my truck last weekend and man!! Let me tell you what a pain! I had the worst time ever, not to mention all the money I have put in this truck this winter. Its on a 1994 F250

    It first started on friday when I tore everything apart. Got the wheel off, pulled off the calipers (all seals were shot!), Pulled off the hubs. Didn't have the right size spindle scoket. Had a hard time finding that. Finally got one and got the rotor off. I don't think that this thing has ever been pulled off. I got it off just to find out that the backing plates were completly rotted out! The dealer wanted 60 for one and 70 for the other. I said forget that and went down to the junk yard. I ended up going to two just to find a 4x4 3/4 ford. ripped them apart only to find out that they wern't the ones that I needed. But I took them anyways, I had no other choice. It took all day sat, but only cost less then $20, and I got wiring for a dual battery set-up too. So when I got home that night I did a little modifing to get them to fit.

    First thing Sunday morning I was back at it. Had to get it done as there was suppose to be snow Sunday night. Once you get into something like this there is always more. I noticed that the u-joints in the front axle were shot (factory ones!). So everything had to come apart. The spindle was rusted on there. I had to beat on it to get it off. Finally came off, then pulled the axle out. Beat the old u-joints out, and put new ones back in. Replaced all the seals, and repacked the bearings and such. Put that side back together no problem. Went to do the other side and the hub wouldn't fit back over the spindle. So I had to take it back apart and sand it to get it to fit. Finally got it done at 6:30 Sunday night.

    Also replaced the ball joints, and drag bar, basically all of the steering components.

    This was a very timely and costly repair. I will post the total repair amount when I get a chance to figure it all out.

    I had no idea how hard it is to get parts to the heavier axle in this truck, and the cost difference in them
     
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008