1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What a Night ! New on Broke

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtremesuperduty, Feb 1, 2004.

1. xtremesuperduty

xtremesuperduty Junior Member

:realmad: Friday night 4:30 am brand new ford f250 psd (4120 miles) chugged to a stop and would not restart. had to drift 1/2 mile backward down a hill to a parking lot. Called my roadside assistance and they didn't arrive until 6:30 am and took it to my local dealer. So i went down to the dealer after i got an hr of sleep and they will not be able to check it out until Monday but they gave me a ford Taurus to use wile they have it I would like to see someone do snow removal with a Taurus.:mad: Any ideas on what the problem may be? It seemed like it was running on only 4 cylinders or some thing and then it quit all together after a while it started again but quit again within minutes.:

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Loss of fuel pressure? Could also be a bad injector pump.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

At least it's under warranty. Is it a 6.0? I thought they'd gotten all the bugs out of the engine. Maybe you have bad fuel.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It could be anything from a bad component to a bad connection to bad fuel. Let us know what it was. Might help someone get back on the road with the same truck if it does it to them.
  5. xtremesuperduty

its a 7.3 i am hoping its just bad fuel or some thing simple like that. ill let ya know what i find out tomorrow
  6. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

how cold has it been? sounds like a diesel that has gelled up. finding a decent fuel supplier is invaluable. i never buy fuel from a truck stop this time of year. i've got an amoco station in town and they blend the fuel with number 1, its a little more expensive but its money well spent to keep on plowing. a gelled up engine will usually run and idle but you cant get any power out of it, depending on how much water is in it and if the water seperator is plugged up, that could shut the motor off like turning it off. i would get some of that antigel, dump that in the tank, change the fuel filter and water seperator(dont know if the fords have one) and see if it willl re start. a company called fppf makes something in a pint container that will pretty much ungell and engine. if you need the truck, i would change the filters,fill the new one with good diesel, prime the system add some of that additive, and try to start it. a warm shop helps also! good luck
  7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I seriousely doubt it is jelled fuel. Saturday, I was out in the middle of a bean field with my psd and a trencher laying electric wire. It was the coldest day of the year for us (-30 windchill) and the truck sat for 18 hours. I let the glow plugs warm for 2 minutes and she fired on the first turn of the key. She wasn't happy but she ran. The psd's have a number of heater elements in line with the fuel to keep it from freezing or gelling. First, there is the block heater. This heats the engine and fuel in the filter and engine area. There is also a heater element in the fuel filter area. This heats all the fuel and returns any unused heated fuel back to the tank. If your truck was running for any length of time, at least 10 minutes, at least one full tank of fuel has passed through this heater. I know there are regional differences in winterized diesel fuel. I run straight #2 in my truck. No additives, no preservatives. On occasion I will run an algaeside through the fuel but that is it.

If I were to guess, it sounds like a HPOP (high pressure oil pump)problem or an IPR (injector pressure regulator) problem. Also, Ford has been having computer problems with the psd. They may just be able to re-flash the computer.

COntact your insuracne company. If you have business liability coverage, there is a slim chance that you may have a business interruption clause. This will cover you if your truck breaks down and cannot perform your services. THis coverage could provide you with the means to outsource your business until your truck gets fixed.
  8. Plow Meister

Also, if it is a brand new truck, it is not a 7.3psd. It is the new 6.0L Maybe the truck is new to you? Or a new engine in an older truck? The 7.3L psd's were in trucks from 1995 to 2003
  9. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

The 6.0 has been plagued with problems . Hold their feet to the fire Ford is well aware of all the problems
  10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Dealers around me still have 7.3s new on lot. Been sitting about a year now...Chuck
  11. xtremesuperduty

Thanks for all the info guys. It was brand new when i got it at the end of august its a 2003 with a 7.3. I got the truck back today and they told me that the fuel was gelled it was 30 out today how can they tell if it was gelled if its that warm outalso there was no water in the seporator. And the night it happened I was on the highway for about an hour befor it quit so I highly doubt it gelled but that is what they told me. Also they told me that they replaced the cam sensor runs fine now. They told me to run an additive in my fuel , Im goin to take a chance and not run it and see if it happens again , we fuel both of our psd's and tractors at the same BP atation and they are fine. If it is a gelling problem will BP be responsible?
  12. Plow Meister

I am glad you got it fixed. If I was certain you had the 7.3 I would have told you it was probably the cam sensor. 7.3's are notorious for burning through them like crazy. If I were you, I would buy a spare to keep in the glove box. I keep an extra and has come in handy a few times. Don't buy the Ford part though, get the International part from an Int'l dealer. It is the exact same part and will be about $75.00 cheaper.

Also, another part that goes bad about every year is the glow plug relay. It is found on top of the engine. I carry a spare one of these also. Ford wants $70.00 but you can get one from NAPA for about $12.00

Congrats on your new PSD. It will give you years of enjoyment.

I will tell you how to get 10 more horsepower from that engine for about $.75 (yes, 75 cents) and about 5 minutes of work. Send me a pm if you are interestred.
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

good old 10k resistor:D
  14. Plow Meister

15. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn Junior Member

whats a "good old 10k resistor"? my dad has a '02 7.3 and I have a '03 6.0. will this secret work on the 6.0?
  16. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Very similar thing happened to a friend of mine's 97' F-350 psd...cost him 1000 smackers to replace the engine computer..why it needed a new one is anyone's guess. :confused:
  17. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

Did not see this thread in time for you. I was going to say cam positiong sensor. I had both the CPS and glow plug relay go in my 99 in the past 12 months.

18. markzrt1

markzrt1 Junior Member

Sounds like a bad lot of fuel?
  19. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

The new Ford diesels are having problems with the injectors.
  20. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Could you give me that tip too?