1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what a morning, couple ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RH31379, Jan 21, 2011.

1. RH31379

RH31379 Member

I have a 6'6" western unimont. mfg. around yr. 2000.This mornign all of a sudden my plow motor died. though I had a good spare but turned out I did not, ran to the local motor shop and got one without much troubl, her's wher the headache began..... put it all back together and the motor ran but the pump just whined, so I pilled the motor off and took the pump out, not paying attention I loosened all 4 bolts, set it aside and put a spare pump in... still nothing but motor whine, this is where the exhaustion plays a role, turned out was a bad connection on the harness... so now I'm on the road again and the spare pump is super slow. so i changed it agian back to the original fews hrs later still good...... now after all that here are my questions.

SInce I have to change the fluid as a precaution from blowing snow getting in there and not haveing a good replacement gasket. should I have any concern over the pump o'ring on the bottom? or the 4 bolts, any specifc torque? I want to try and get it all straight tonight before the next storm. thanks.
    Also is there anything I can do for that slow pump? didnt seem to have the power to really lift or angle?

Thansk guys
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would check the oring for sure. just tighten all of the bolts on the pump and it should be fine. if you don't have a new gasket re use the old one and put some silicone around the motor base. temporary fix but it works.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The O rings are usually either pinched and clearly damaged or not. A new one would be good but it wasn't visibly damaged it should be fine. I am sure there is a torque spec but I generally use my best judgment. Try to use that same wrench / socket to tighten them as to remove them and use the same force required to loosen to retighten. As for the slow pump... It is a gear pump so if you get slower performance with two pumps on the same motor / vehicle then I would say the pump gears are worn and fluid is leaking between the teeth under pressure. There is no rebuild for them that I know of, just toss it and buy a new one if needed. Re the silicone suggestion... be careful not to use too much silicone as it can cause real problems if is squeezes out and makes it's way to the valves or the pump. Sump screen will catch solid pieces but until it gels it can pass through.