1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What a mess Last night

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NickyBombs, Dec 16, 2005.

1. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Last night it started snowing after about a half inch it started sleeting, then freezing rain to top it off. I spread 4 tons of salt sand just to keep things going. What a mess. Was hoping for snow instead.:gunsfiring:

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

You have to learn to love ice! We make just as much if not more with salting than we do with the plowing. Think about how many more services you get during the course of the year. Depending upon your clientle you can add on average 2 services per plowable event alone right there. How many times do you sit at home and and wish for just a bit more snow so that it will reach your trigger?? You could be turning all of those into profitable services as well as any icing and sleeting situations!!!!

Snow is good, but ice is nice too!!!!!!!!!!payup payup payup

3. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Yes it is for sure!!!payup payup payup payup

4. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Just out of curiousity how much are you guys charging per ton of salt or sand that you put down and also how much are you paying per ton to have it delivered? Thanks for the info

5. Keith_480231

Salting $$$$

Getting in the neighbor of $115 a ton to spread and probably paying around $40 a ton delivered to the bin location. How 'bout in your area?

6. Keith_480231

Listen Mow

Hey remember that truck I had for sale a couple of weeks ago? The guy that came up from Ohio to buy it ( Yes I got full asking price hehe ) called me the other day and said that he had already paid for the truck in one night of saltings. Very lucrative. Just another way to "not leave anything on the table"!:nod: :nod: :nod:

7. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Keith I hear ya

I don't have a sander on my truck at this time but am seriously thinking about it for next year. At this point in time I am a sub at a pretty big shopping center but the guys I sub for have a spreader on both of their trucks and the three contracts that I take care of after the big lot do not want or require sanding.

I am not sure if I want to plow for VDOT next year if I get a sander. I do hear that if you are subbing for VDOT and have a sander with a plow they call you out before the trucks with just plows and that it pays about $30 to $35 more an hour when you have the sander. I have not heard that straight fron VDOT yet but will definitely find out how much extra they pay before buying it and signing on with them.

I really dont know what the current rate is per ton in my area for sanding, that is what most companies do around here from what I have seen.

8. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

You are only making $115 per ton of salt that your spread? At that price you might as well spread it for free! We get in the neighborhood of $600 per ton spreading salt.

9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

$600 is outragoues:eek: . I get $125-150 per ton spread. That is a very good price in this area. most people around here are $25-40 less than me. I don't think any one could get $600 per ton unless the are FOS.

10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Do you guys have a minimum charge when charging by the ton? I do a few lots that only require 800-1000 lbs of salt and I charge them $130. I cant imagine going there and salting for $60, after taking out the cost of the salt I would only make $35 ?

11. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

\

I was thinking the same thing..I would not even mount the spreader for that price..

12. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

Thank you! How can you possibly make any money let alone pay for and maintain your equipment at $115 a ton? Snow removal and ice management are premium services that require expensive equipment, long man hours, costly insurance, being on call at all times, and excessive wear and tear on trucks and equipment.

13. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

115 seems low.

600 seems a lot ambitious and frankly Id like to see someone pay you 600 a ton.

:rolleyes:

Just so were clear and on the same page. We are all talking about rock salt, and not confusing the issue by tossing in a calcium or some upgrade product price,right?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  14. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

We spread salt using a tailgate spreader and 80# bags of rock salt. A pallet of salt costs $160 plus tax. We measure lots and give quotes according to how many bags of salt we estimate we will use. We charge $20 per bag of salt to apply the material. There are 30 bags of salt on a pallet. You do the math. A ton would be $500. This rate is consistent with all companies in our area unless they are people with no insurance working on the side. This is beginning to remind me of the kid next door who cuts the grass for $10 and expects a lawn company to do it for the same when it should cost $50. But hey, whatever works for you is fine. Its not my business to tell you what to charge.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  15. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

How much salt are you guys using? I've been in this industry for a while. 2 tons of salt will coat a good size walmart parking lot. Cost is $56 per ton. On average you get 1.25 yards of salt per ton. It takes maybe 20 min to spread. If your charging that much and need to spread that much material why don't you have a V-box. Don't forget min charges for small areas will get you average per ton up. I have a big hotel, small strip mall, bank and small motel all get salted with about 2yds. I get $600 for spreading all of those. You make more per ton but go into a supermarket or walmart and you won't see more than $150 per ton. You tell them $20 a bag and it will take 30 bags they will laugh at you.

16. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

$110 a ton? Wow

Might as well give it away for free or maybe have the customer charge you. Anyway I have a new fisher procaster vbox and I seem to be getting alot of salt piling up against the back license plate and in between the back of the chute. There is a cut out behind the chute that allows salt to accumulate in this area. Anyway the question was Is this cut out there for a reason or can I have a piece of SS put in there. Anyone one else have this problem?

17. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

First of all I don't have any accounts where I need to spread a ton of salt. My largest lot is around 18,000 sq. ft. At an average of 10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. that would be apprx. 2.5 80# bags. I would quote a charge of $50 per application.

18. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

I think it depends on where you live and what snow management program you are running for that particular client..All of my commercial property's are on a ZERO tolerance, that means they will pay more than 150 per ton this is not "let's make a deal" people my prices are my prices, and if they think it's to much money, fine there are plenty of people that need my services.. I don't want to have a huge debate about this but like I said it depends on the area and what program you are running..

19. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

Very well put Always Greener. I completly agree with you.

20. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

This is what I mean though.

You are paying three times plus what most are paying for bulk salt.

We are comparing apples and oranges.