1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What a day...Thanks for nothing Weather people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

So, yesterday its just flurries off and on, the forcast says that its going to end, then start back up mid day (today) and flurry some more, forcasted a total of 3/10ths of an inch total.
    its not going to do anything,talk to helper, no its not going to do much of anythng, yep I will call you if it does, the weather said its ony flurries, Monday we should get something....

So, I get up around 1am, take a leak, and just happen to see white on the roof of the house next door. Oh look we have 3 inches, and its still snowing, crap my truck is blocked in with the car, got to clean the drive to get the car out, to get out the truck.
    ice melt is under tarp in the back yard....Dang I am almost out of ice melt..

Were is my helper? call, call,call, call, call... 2am, talk to his wife, said he is getting up, told him to be at my house 3-330...call, call call call....all day, no answer. Crap!

Talk to company I sub for, 330-400, don't worry about the banks? theres 2-3in, and its still snowing..all right what ever.

do my lots, Crap forgot my camera (I have a comercial I have to photo documnet before and after), go back home..
    Head back, do that lot. Call, call call no helper, crap!

head 30 miles to do 2 resturants with about a total of 1/4+ mile of sidewalks, felt like a mile, its 0 out, thanks wind. dang, out of salt!..

Oh look I can not see to drive back, its snowing like crazy, I hope I don;t have to go back and do the resturants agian. get call about banks, yeah I told you they needed to be pushed and salted...Your doing them? ok what ever, which have you not done?

Do one, do another, redo first one he did since it snowed more. customers everywere like ants on suger
    I hate doing commercial lots when they are open, Hey, dont park there! crap..

oh look someone is shoveling some of my properties, its the contact's kids..great, am I looseing them? why did I not show up? you did not call me, and you still have not signed your contract. You said you would call if they needed cleared, ok we have to do the contract monday for sure....

crap, I have to mail out contracts/invoices.. Crap, I forgot my eBay crap.....

Oh, I need salt, Lowes wants How much for 40lb bags?...

ring, ring, yeah I got all the lots done, yeah, should had not held off on the banks, bla bla bal, yeah Mondy they were calling for a bad storm, I hope we get 12-16 inches out of it. What? you are ready for summer? you don't like the snow?

Look the sun is melting the snow, I am going home....

Call call call, still no answer from my helper....is he in jail?

I am going to rant on plowsite....Coffee! I need Coffee!

can I sue the weather people for mental stress and for being completely wrong? :)
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

hey, could you do my drive?

I'll pay you 10 bucks.
  3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

that's harsh, funny, but harsh:drinkup:
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Sure, I am on my way, might be a couple dozen hours before I get there, so keep that snow cold for me :)
  5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I wish I had your problems. I never trust the weather man. If there is a chance of a dusting the truck is loaded, the plow is on and I am ready to go. Sounds like you made it through it ok. Get some sleep and let us know what happened to your helper.
  6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

find another guy! no time for bs
  7. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

I'd tell my "helper" that next time he pulls a stunt like that he can expect to have to look for another job. This industry is too time sensitive for those shenanigans....
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not sure you can blame running out of salt and calcium on the weatherman
  9. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

man! i've had a few of those days this year!
  10. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

This time of year I drink a big glass of water right before I go to bed, just incase! it has saved me more than once!
  11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Hey, what the heck, you are having the same day i am having.......
  12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Hey, I have to pass the blame on to someone, I can not take the blame for being unprepaired....

As for my helper, he finily called me, seems like that took a bender of a night and was still drunk at noon....

Not happy about that, but at least he was not dead. I have known the guy only about a year or so, this is the 2nd time he has gotten s**t faced, the last time was new years eve.

He is a hard worker and this is the first time he as let me down, I am not going to hold it aginst him, but if it happens again, well...

I do need to find a back up helper, most of the time I need two that way I do not have to get out and help when I am done with the truck before he is done shoveling. But its hard to find people that will work, and it is even harder to find people willing to work out in the cold. You would think that people would be standing in line to work, but "its to cold", "Its to early" "its christmas day" "its....."

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

I hear you i have had many days where things just go wrong.After many years of doing this i have learned to handle the stress and try to keep it low.First of you need to network and make friends in your area.Have a friend or two to call if you are in a jam.Find someone else that could back you up with a truck of course you will help him out..Try to keep some salt/ice melt on hand.Bring a few fine cigars with you to take a break if needed.When you are really stressed out take a 20 minute nap in the truck.i knew some guys that had a nervous break downs.Remember do the best that you can.Sh@# happens
  14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Try throwing a lake into your forcast. The weather man cant ever seem to predict where and how much snow any one place around here is going to get. They call for a dusting and we get 6" on a fairly regular basis. Good thing it lasts for only 4 months of the year:D
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oh, I was not stressed out, more aggravated then anything. I have learned to not stress about anything, I had a nervous break down 6 years ago, long story but in part was due to my automotive repair shop going belly up, thanks to the thief that was supposed to be my friend/partner, there there was alot of personal stuff that happened at the same time.

So in short, I do not get stressed out bad, just aggravated. Yes I need a back up shovel man, I posted an ad looking for 2 people, got 4 calls, but they never called back the next day so I could meet them in person (I guess no one really wants to work in the cold). I did however find someone that said they would work if I need them.
    As for a back up truck, yes I need one, bad, but I do not know anyone that has one, that does a good job. The only people I know do terrible jobs and I would Rather not have the work done then have it half a$$ done..
  16. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Dam I feel you on this.

Every storm for 2 years has been this.

Look at the weather forecast.
    30% chance of snow showers in a few days otherwise nothing.
    GREAT....Got at least a week clear
    (Im on contracts, I dont want it to snow)

Day before the 30% chance of snow showers......

18 inches of Blizzard snow coming
  17. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

Got to love the great lakes...........cha chingThumbs Up
  18. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I've never had or heard of anything like this.
    I guess I over-prepare. A hint of weather, ok, trucks are full of fuel, rock salt and ice melt are loaded, plows are nearby and not blocked, employees/helpers/subs are made aware of the potential.

19 year, and have never lost a customer.

It's all about how the business is run.
    No head aches here.
  19. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You guys are pretty lucky then.

Last Sunday, the forecasters around here told us that we were going to get 8-10" total for our storm. I bought extra ice melt, lined up extra shovelers and operators since this was going to be a drawn out storm and rented a backhoe for help moving piles.

We ended up with barely 2". I spent an extra $1,000 on this storm that will take me a while to recover, had guys mad because they were on standby and weren't able to get any hours and I never was able to get one billable hour for the backhoe.

Our forecasters seem to be doing this more and more over the past few years. The predictions ramp up until the storm hits and then they start ratcheting them down based on what they are looking at out the window.

How can people be wrong so often and still keep their jobs?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You tell me..
    They have the only job were you can be totally wrong and screw up everything and not loose your job, not even a slap on the hand and no one seems to care, except for the ones of us that try to make a living off the bad weather and depend on them(weather people) to be able to do there job....

must be nice to be able to get paid big bucks to be wrong most of the time....