1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What?? 2WD plowing Illinois blizzards??????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The Cowboy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. The Cowboy

The Cowboy Junior Member

I will try to plow snow with a 1978 Chevy C20 this winter. My landscape budget cannot allow the purchase of 4WD truck this winter. I already have 2 western plows, a 7 1/2' and an 8'. Should I use tire chains. Should I use the 8' to help keep the wheels off the snow during turns. I only have about 20 large residential accounts with mostly straight 140' drives with no hills.
    I am ready to hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes.

Any and all laughs and/or comments will be welcomed. Thanks!

2. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

nice i hope every thing works out but i would use chains and the 7.5 plow

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I don't think i would want a truck with chains on my driveway.They use a different mix of asphalt on the roads then on the driveways.You can buy a beater blazer or something with a plow and 4x4 for 2 or 3 grand

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

As far as I know you can't run chains or studded tires in Illinois.

5. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I jsut happen to be selling such a vehicle. 85 chevy with western plow for $2000. no need to spend 20grand!! I know shamless plug!!:waving:

6. westwind

westwind Member

no chains! you will lose customers and get a ticket. If you can't get a cheap 4x4 invest in a lot of sand!!:rolleyes:

7. makplow

makplow Senior Member

hi cowboy. I have to say you have a lot of courage. Good luck to you, I think your going to need it, and as the saying goes its just another adventure!!!:redbounce :salute:

8. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

i've got an 02 4x4 chevy and only plow in four wheel drive very seldom. i would rather have weight in the back, easier on the front end and drive train i think

9. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Cowboy, I would put on some aggresive snow tires on the rear . (studded if allowed). 1 1/2 yds of sand in the back of truck. The smaller of the two plows , for weight and pushing reasons. And plow smart , dont drop the front tires over any embankments and dont expect to back up any steep driveways. A used locking rearend would be a plus if the budget allows. Everyones gotta start somewhere , where theres a will theres a way. Good luck. Doug

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

To my knowledge, chains and studded tires are illegal in Illinois and here in Iowa. You're best bet would be to buy a 4wd or a lawn tractor with a blade.

11. The Cowboy

The Cowboy Junior Member

The snow tire idea sounds great. I hope to have a good report for everyoen after the first few dozen storms. If this setup does not work out, I will just use my Gravely ZTR with the 55" snowblower for the rest of the winter. I did it for 2 years and am still alive, so I guess I could do it again. I did get my whole plow setup for $500 so it is no skin of my back if it does not work; I will just put it back on E-bay where I got it.
    Thanks for the comments.
    We are about 14" down for rain to date. How much snow could 14" of rain make?:cool:

12. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I plowed with a 2WD 80 chev 3/4T pickup for years. And that had an open differential, 292 6cly, and manual trans. It can be done if your set it up decent. Heck what do you think people did before 4X4 pickups came out in the late 50's? Good treaded tall tires, lots and I mean lots, of weight in the back. You really have to keep your head in the game too and pay attention to to momentum, terrain, surface condition. You sometimes have to take smaller bites, especially with wet snow. I think I chained that truck up a total of 2-3 times in ten years. You will get stuck - carry a shovel, strap, come along if you think it can be used. I had a pair of traction mats made from old safety decking that worked slick. I often got stuck (stuck not buried)stacking, slip those under the wheels, back out, go back and pick them up. I wouldn't recommend chains for residential work unless you really want to hear complaints of surface damage. Plan on making your own plow mounting too. I found not a lot of 2WD stuff out there until your into 1 tons.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

you can plow with 2wd, hell i try to plow in 2wd as mush as possable !
    i would not use a 2wd truck though !!!

chicago weather just doesn't allow it.

i saw what happened to a truck that couldnt be put into 4wd last year.
    i and 4 others had to run to this poor guy's lot. it was a mess to say the least. he couldnt push back the snow banks and took 8 hours to clear less then half of a medium sized lot.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1" of rain = 10" of snow. So 14" of rain would be 140" of snow.:eek: