1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what 1 should I buy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BC Handyman, Oct 6, 2011.

1. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys, i need some input on which machine I should buy. I'm looking at getting a skidsteer. Which would you buy for the $? I'll say that the bigger $ machine I got to get a partial loan.

bobcat 175, 2002, 3450hrs, hand & foot controls, 1 speed $17,000
    or
    bobcat 185, 2008, 580hrs, foot only controls, 2 speed $25,000, air cond., power bobtach
    both have new tires & heat with a 68" bucket but i need a loan for the newer machine.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No brainer, get the newer one. To many Hrs on the 175. If you're using the machine quite a bit, you'll make the money back on the loan and then some. Plus, a machine with all those features will hold it's value better if you need to sell it in the future.

3. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

The bigger one is the only way to go if you are using it for snow. In my opinion, a 2 speed is a must.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Seems over priced. I bought my 05 used in 07. It was a Bobcat S220 with 500 hours on it. 2 speed, High flow, power bobtach, a/c, selectable joysticks. Paid $26,000 from the dealer, sold it last year for 22,000.

I'd shop around, I bet you can find some better deals.

5. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

ditto, but seems a bit high maybe - then I noticed your in Canada--- so I dont know how to compair your 22g to my 22g, but ill tell you this, no way would i spend 17g on an open one speed machine with 3000+hours on it thats 9 years old

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. BC Handyman

Thanks guys for your input!Thumbs Up
    I really do want the s185 due to the low hrs/age & the 2 speed option, but I'm unsure about the loan app as I just got a new truck. I've shoped around for the last few weeks & prices are in line for here I'd say(everything costs more in Canada) why I'm unsure as our doller is just above the USD.
    Will the fact that it's foot only controls hurt the resale value much? Is the power bobtach good or bad due to the fact more moving parts? I ask this because it is broke now and dealer has to replace. Is it prone to breakage?
    IF I cant get the loan I guess I'll have to get the s175, any more input would be helpfull to me, as this is my first skid steer purchase & I dont know alot about them.

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I failed to notice that you're from Canada. The 185 might not be that bad of a price after all. My one recommendation is to get a 2 speed machine or you'll probably regret it. As for the power bobtach, you'll love it. If you change buckets or attachments there's no getting out of the cab, unless you have to hook up hoses. It's simply a hydraulic cylinder so there's not much to go wrong.

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would rather go for a little while without a skid then sink money into a high hour, open rops tird. Shoot the for low hour machine, you will thank yourself later.
    Robert

9. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I woud spend more time shopping around unless you have to have it now. You can probably find a larger machine with a few more hours on it for less moeny if you are patient. I have a T300 that has 3900 hours on it and runs just fine. I work on them all the time and have come across machines that only have 1000-1200 hours on them and are far worse off than my "high hour" machine.

10. BC Handyman

All right I put in the loan app. I got to wait till tues. since its thankgiving here. We will see what happens.

11. BC Handyman

What do you mean open rops? Both have an enclosed, heated cab

12. rob_cook2001

In the original post you didn't say anything about the 1st machine having a cab.
    I would still rather spend more for the low hour machine.

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Try south of the border.... As it is comparable to importing a TV into Canada.

14. BC Handyman

getting a different machine

Well its been a journey trying to find & get a machine I want. I thought i was getting that
    s185 , but after the manager of the bobcat dealership helped me fill out the credit app. & send it in, he (manager) changed his mind & decided he wasnt going to sell it for the $24,000 we both agreed on, but insted he wanted to keep it for himself......WTF!!! I took the day off to buy this machine & after I put in the credit app he wants to keep it, Man I'm pissed, why the heck did he not say anything before? Anyway I left that dealership very pissed & I hope to never have to return, since thats the way the manager runs the place. But it was for all the best cause I found a even better machine, at the JD dealership. I'll tell you guys all about it later as I got to do paperwork right now.

15. BC Handyman

I own a skid steer!!

Well I just bought a skid steerThumbs Up I'm going to go drive it home in an hr or so, I'll post all the details later today.

16. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

What did you end up getting?

17. rob_cook2001

Drive it home??? Do you mean haul it? Lol

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

1speed or 2speed? How far is the dealer from your house?

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I didnt see your post when I went to reply....was wondering the same thing:jester:

20. BC Handyman

I found & bought a s185 almost the same as the one I almost bought, same year(2008)

yup drove it home, dealer gave me a demo plate to get it home.

it's a 2 speed, dealer is about 1.5miles or 2km away from my house, so not to far but I had to drive it on some pretty busy roads & highway. I did good though(for first time operating a skidsteer) took me about 20 min cause I got stuck by a train.

I'll post the details later along with pics, I spent this evening cleaning the engine bay, tomarrow clean the interior.Thumbs Up