1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whas better for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94chevy2500, Feb 11, 2011.

1. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

ok i have 2 truck im looking at i already started a thread on the ford page but now i found a chevy so whitch one would be better for plowing and towing a 16 foot landscape trailer

1993 ford f350 dump with 7.3 non turbo diesle with 161,000 miles

or

1998 chevy 3500 dump with 6.5 turbo diesle with 129,000 miles

2. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

1998 chevy 3500 dump with 6.5 turbo diesle with 129,000 miles[/QUOTE]

I'm a Chevy man, but those 6.5's are joke unless they are tweaked a lot wesport.

3. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

you need to consider some other things other than the year and miles.
    what about
    -rust
    -rot
    -over all condition
    - service records
    - previous use for each truck.
    -what does each need right now vs the other.
    -and cost.
    - future plans for truck A vs B

4. 94chevy2500

yea i know all that i just have never owned on of these engines i woundering whitch one is the overall better motor

5. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

none start looking some more

6. 94chevy2500

I'm a Chevy man, but those 6.5's are joke unless they are tweaked a lot wesport.[/QUOTE]

what tweaking needs to be done lol i dont mine having to upgrade stuff many things will be uprgades on either truck (exhaust, bigger turbo power chip maybe) and anything that will help it and get better fuel i can do most work myself just need to know the best improvments to do

7. 94chevy2500

hahaha thats what im thinking they arnt the truck i realy want i want a 97 f350 7.3 turbo diesle just need to find a good one thats not over priced

8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

what tweaking needs to be done lol i dont mine having to upgrade stuff many things will be uprgades on either truck (exhaust, bigger turbo power chip maybe) and anything that will help it and get better fuel i can do most work myself just need to know the best improvments to do[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you cant get a power performance products for a 6.5 like a Bully Dog system.............a least not here. and back to the topic. Ford Dodge or Chev seems to work for everyone here on PS. What ever works for you and your LUCKY with.

9. 94chevy2500

i have found power chips and performance packages with exhaust and everything for the 6.5 you just need to look hard. i almost bought a 98 chevy 3500hd with powerchip and it was running 20lbs of boost

10. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Well If you got some contacts' phone numbers I really would be interested as I have a hauling contract, that takes me through some hilly country in the summer months. I have 3 Six Fives a 96 99 and 2000

11. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Have to go with the ford.

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Neither!! Sorry to sound like a D!CK but both of those motors are under powered tirds. And neither start very well in the cold. Find a 95-97psd like you want or a 89-98 cummins. Even if you have to fork out a little more money up front you will be MUCH happier in the long run. I would be happier with a 460 or 454 than with these earlier diesels. I have done performance work on the 6.5 and 7.3 idi, was disapointed with both lol.
    good luck
    Robert

13. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I'm a Ford guy all the way. They make turbo kits for the 7.3 which is a bulletproof motor, Most of the one's that i've seen go 350-400,000 before they need any major work. I agree that they are both underpowered but the 7.3 is the same from your non turbo to your turbo 7.3. Just slap a big A$$ turbo on it and you got yourself a good truck!

14. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I've never been impressed with 6.5's. Find a turbo 7.3 and run it into the ground. I have 230,000 on mine. No major work other than maintenance and I run that thing like no other all year round. Get yourself a trans temp gauge if you're plowing, open up the intake and exhaust, find a decent fuel additive ( I like Power Service) and go make some money.

15. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You know all of you are bashing the 6.5. They don't start in the cold. It was minus 10 here the other day, and mine started up just fine. I don't even have a block heater, so it's not like it was plugged in or anything. You say they have no power. I got my wheel loader stuck on in a dry retention pond, just over the hill, trying to puch snow back further, I hooked up the 6.5 diesel to it, and pulled it right out. I have no problems with mine at all, but I can't say they are all that good.

16. 94chevy2500

yea i was just looking into the turbo kits for them i just dont know the guy wants 7000 for the truck then the 2-3gand for the turbo kit i think i could find a 7.3 turbo for that

17. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

i love my idi, it has a banks sidewinder kit so its got plenty of power even with just 11 pounds of boost. i pulled my buddy out in 3 feet of snow the other day he has a little 98 chevy blazer and his dad tried pulling him out with his 2500 duramax and then he got stuck so i chained up to the duramax and pulled them both out. i was on dry pavement though and they were both in the middle of an unplowed parking lot. personally if your looking to spend 7k on a truck i think you could easily find a powerstroke for that much...i picked my idi up for 2300 and its got 150k on it with a rebuilt trans. just gotta know where to look, craigslist is my best friend!

18. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

i wouldn't buy a truck for 7 grand and put 3 into it when you can buy a truck for 10,000 and have what you want. dont jump on any one truck just yet. do some searching find a good deal that fits what you need. look into gas engines to. i love diesels but maybe you can find a nicer/newer truck for the same money because its gas.

19. 94chevy2500

ok well the guy with the chevy just emailed some pics of whats bad on the truck he said the frame ia a little ruogh in one spot heres the pic fixable or should i pass on this one frame looks real rusty to

frame.jpg

20. 94chevy2500

damn way to small let me try that again haha