1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whan and where to use a v?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by T-Trim, Jan 15, 2014.

1. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I hope everybody is having a good 2014.

I know when we plow with our v plows its only for the clean ups. Does anybody here on plowsite use the v position for wide open lots?? Only reason I ask is cause in the last few storms we had here. I saw a few doing there lots in full v and that just seem crazy to me. Any and all input is welcome.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking V or "A"? Wings back towards the truck or wings forward in scoop?

Depending on the snow fall, car placement, lot design there's some lots I plow where I'm carrying the snow way more then I am windrowing it.
  3. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

In the scoop position.
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In some lots to keep windrows down in size I'll do a pass (every 3-4) in Scoop mode.
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I use scoop mode more than anything... It's the main reason I purchased a v plow.
  6. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

With the v's we tend to be in partial scoop or dog leg most of the time to carry snow away instead of making a big wind row to deal with.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Smart man right here, and he just jumped into the 90's. :laughing:

Back when I had a V, I windrowed the majority of the time. But, I would use scoop\inverted V to reduce the size of windrows as well as move around vehicles, buildings, crap stored outside, etc.
  8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's faster to carry a full load of snow away to the pile than to windrow and then push to the pile.
    Each forward push eliminates snow for good, vs each forward push only moving snow to the side...

Of course, if the snow gets piled on the side where the windrow ends up, then that is faster.

I always go just a little past straight-blade into "scoop" mode, maybe 1/3 of the way to full scoop. Carries more snow.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Easy does it Mark I'll be casting a shadow in GR and Greenville in May......:laughing:
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Same here - use scoop mode (with wings) just about all if the time unless I want to push the snow to the side. It really lets you put most of the snow exactly where you want it. For example, I try to make all of my piles in spots where it won't cause drifting back onto the pavement.

Scoop mode is also good for breaking up stacked snow piles.

I've only used the v position once in seven years.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Not trying to start a pissing match, every lot it's own personality and every storm/snow is different, from depth to moisture content. You may find yourself doing a combination of windrowing/scooping or one or the other from storm to storm.
    I got my V this past fall and only have about 30hrs behind it so I'm no expert and still fiddling around with technique. The versatility of a V allows it to be used as needed unlike a straight blade.
    I will say wings on a V are the only way to move snow, while waiting for the wings to come in I had 2 storms and it sucked due to not having the additional width.
  13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This is how I do it as well.
  14. Antlerart06

Yes every lot is different and every snow fall is different but how I plow never changes.

Few years a go My local school need some help. So we rolled in. Before we started to plow we had a meeting. The School was telling me how to plow there lots.
    They windrow till they cant move it then they try push it up.
    There was 2 lots same size We had are lot done and helping the school guys with there lot.
    Now at the school they bought V plows and they plow how I do now. I haven't got a call from them to help for 3 yrs. The one School guy told me my way is the best and fastest way to plow there lots.

In time BUFF you will see more seat time you get behind that V plow
    Just remember to scoop snow you don't have to be in full scoop to do it
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I beg to differ regarding using the same method every time, plowing higher accumulations (say 6" +)requires more passes and technique adjustments compared to lesser snows (-6"). This is were the beauty of a V comes in to play.

Every time out my technique is evolving which I find to be enjoyable.
    Generally speaking I have my blades kicked 15degrees <>forward when I'm scooping and tighter when steering/locating snow.

It's all good I'm having a hoot playing with the V.
  16. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Thanks for the input so far. I know the guys who work for us only have been using the scoop mode for the cleaning up. Never used the scopp mode for the start of the plowing to the end. We figured used the full width, make a pass then make the second and following passes all a few feet apart. Come back and clean up the rest.
  17. Mark Oomkes

Silly me, I've been plowing for almost 30 years and I still adjust my plowing regularly.

I windrowed a 6.5 acre lot. Not with a V.

Guess how long it took me to plow it with about 2".

I'll challenge anyone to plow it faster with a truck mounted plow.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I do commercials with an 8'2" V and a backhoe with a 12' box. The backhoe moves 90% of the snow, I just give him straight lines to work with. When using just the truck I windrow a few passes then scoop, pushing a mountain of snow.
  19. Mark Oomkes

So I was thinking about this thread whilst windrowing my accounts this morning.

How big are these lots that you are scooping?

Can you explain how you carry all the snow without having to go back and cleanup all the trails?

What is your average snowfall that you are plowing?

I didn't really figure anybody would want to take the bait on the 6.5 acre lot that I windrowed 90% of in 1.5 hours. Granted, that was with a 8611LP and 16' Ebling, but still, I windrowed it and carried very, very little.
  20. Antlerart06

5.5 acre lot is my new one I didn't say there wasn't no trail off
    I start off scooping yes will have trail off but the runs are shorter on every pass till there no more snow
    First guy starts the scooping next guy starts higher in the lot and third guy starts even higher in the lot
    Photo shows how I do it in 6'' and less In deeper snow I do the same but I go at in 2 different ways