1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whaddaya think of this here plow?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by countrydoc, Apr 9, 2007.

1. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Hi all,

New kid on the block...well, maybe not such a kid anymore. Looking to set up my '97 Toyota Tacoma (4-cyl engine) for personal snow removal use. I found this Sno-Way on ebay. I have no experience with plow mounting or maintenance, so I'm looking for a little feedback from those in the know about whether this is a complete set-up or not. Can you tell from the pics if it is in reasonable shape? I know that a new kit like this would be in the range of $4000, so if this is in good shape it seems like it would be a good deal even with the cost of shipping (NY to Maine).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sno-W...QQcmdZViewItem

Can a 4-cyl Tacoma handle the 22-series Sno-Way? According to the website it can, but my concern is how much power/torque is needed to make it actually push snow, especially up the hill of my driveway.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have a couple of customers using the 22 on a Taco.

One was in for a leaking hose, and the operator (not the owner) kept talking about how much he abused the plow and truck because it was to light to do the job. I asked if the truck was doing the job and he replied it was. So i don't know how the plow's too light and the truck's too small if it's going the job and not breaking. There are a lot of 22s out there on Rangers, Tacos, Wranglers and Liberty's doing the job commercially.

@ $500 that's a great deal! It's all there. You might have to buy an mount and adapters.

3. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Turns out this came off a 1996 Ford Explorer

The documents pictured on the listing seem to indicate that it was installed in Dec 2005.

Anyone know if I would need to buy additional hardware to make it work on my Tacoma? If I need more hardware, how can I find out the approximate cost?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You'll need a mounting carton and headlight adapters

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Like all Snowway parts. They are very pricey. Call a dealer and then call another dealer. Prices vary depending on who you call.The Snoway link at the top lists all dealers.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mounting cartons and headlight adapters are very price competitive. Controllers are cheap compared to Douglass Dynamics, there are no vehicle manufacturer specific Isolation Modules. Strangely enough it's the readily available stuff they seem to price high, they have worked on getting their parts more in line with the competition.

Hoses are expensive, but the quality is far greater then the aftermarket, and many OEMs.

E-bay and the Craig list are good places to look for used parts, Snoway parts aren't on the market quite as often as other models. Though they are steady gaining market share, owners seem to hang on to their snoway equipment and there aren't as many discounters, and salvage operations handling their products.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Basher is exactly right. Snow way people do hang on to their plows and there are not many used plows or parts around. Do an imternet search and something may come up. Good luck with the plow. :salute:

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a 22 Series on my 05 Frontier. I origanally had the 6'8" molbord but I went ahead and got the 7'6" and it pushes like a bulldozer.

The only thing I notice is that you just can't pile as high as you can with the bigger plows.

But I wouldn't worry with your toyota.

Peterbilt