1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whadda ya do?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BlackIrish, Dec 18, 2008.

1. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

A $30k contract was offered to me but I didn't want the extra workload. Basically clearing 400 community mailboxes in a tight area by 9am next day. The guy has thousands of these to get cleared. Since I was ready to pass I thought I would refer/broker the deal to another plowsite member.
    Simple simple I take a 33% cut when he gets paid, next yr all money is his. The 2 guys get together, work out details make all arrangements, buy swap gps units night before the storm. Next day tues. l'il 9cm/ 3.75" comes just before breakkie. Major traffic as public transit is on strike. Long story short our guy is a no show blah blah blah , lots of excuses no production. Apparently ps member got woken up thursday at 3am at home when the GUY went to his house and banged on his door till he woke em up, cause 400 boxes weren't cleaned. Since I've now had many telephone calls with the GUY starting at 630am this morning these are the facts as I know them. Of course I can't reach ps member nor has he called me, msgs and pm left nada received. So probably don't know full story, but I know he has a cell, and any driving around here is bumper to bumper gridlock so there's LOTS of time to catch up on things, yet he still hasn't called me.
    Of course I now look like dog turd to the GUY and I'm out $10K commission.
    What would you do?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well that sucks, we won't sub anything out that we can't control, since it our name that's being used. I really don't think there is much you can do but appologize.
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

You win some you lose some. Did you meet said plowsite member befor you told this other guy about him? But like he said dont stick ur hand in the pot if ur not willing to lose a finger. What can you do anyway. the guy bailed i wouldnt lose sleep over that. Though maybe this guy had a reason maybe he didnt think it met the trigger maybe he didnt like the guys additude. Maybe the guys a jerk who knows.
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

wait a minute. youre getting paid $30grand to clear off mailboxes? is this the snow on top? or the snow in front or around?
  5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Why would you get 33% just for a referral?? I'm in the wrong end of this business.
  6. Kunker

Kunker Member

Jebus, where the heck are they located in O-town? If you need some help, PM me the info and I'd be willing to try.
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Why wouldn't I?
    That was the deal explained up front, chqs would have gone directly to him and then he would pay me. The deal can't be all bad more than a few guys have expressed interest. But the position has been filled.
    In theory the job was now his for the foreseeable future, 4 yrs at current #'s is worth $120K ,so big deal , it would have cost him $10k, a wee more than 8%. That's cheap.
    Plus the 400 mailboxs, which required a swipe with the plow and a bit of shovel work, were the tip of the iceburg, growth potential was huge. The guy who used to do it, tons of them, up until a few yrs ago does over $2000K per year. It seems it was good for him for 10yrs.
  8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

See that's the problem, " willing to try", doesn't even come close.
    Either you deliver or you don't.
  9. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I'd be ready to kill the guy.