1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We've heard of plowing for beer money! But Pizza Credits?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I've heard it all now!

The Local pizza hut called me and wanted me to stop by and talk to them and bid there snow work.

Well, I have gave them bids before and never got anyways, other then last year when they called cause there low-ball snow guy didn't show up.

I went down plow & Salted and Billed them pretty good for the 15 mins of work it took.

Anyhow, the manger asked me today. If I could do there snow this year,because there not happy with the guy they have (been plowing it for 5 years now).

Heres the Kicker... He gives him the bill and they pay him in pizza hut credits!

What do you guys think about this? Would any of you guys do this?
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I'd do the same thing I do any time those places call for a bid... I tell them to move on, I'm not even interested in bidding... for money or pizza. They won't pay realistic money to have those places plowed, so I don't waste time, paper, or ink to do a proposal.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's trading services, and it can be very beneficial to both parties.

I might choose a higher end restaurant for trade before a Pizza Hut, but to each his own.

Don't lower you're rates just because it's a trade though....if anything add to it.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I agree trading services can be beneficial.

But Pizza Hut, my god by the end of the year i'd have thousands of dollars worth of pizza hut credits.

What would I do?

Have a Plowsite Pizza Party?? Maybe Mark O can plow a Beer place for Keg Credits LOL
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Who doesn't like pizza??

Albeit it would get sickening if that's all you ate.

Send a pizza delivery to your clients once a month.
  6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

See, now that's good business. If you could do an olive garden or an Applebees. You could send/take clients to dinner/lunch for "free." It could be beneficial. I've got a buddy who plows a small airports parking lot's for air miles?
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

S***, why didn't I think of that?
  8. cubicinches

What does it matter what your rate is if all you're getting in return is pizza?

My trucks won't run on pizza, pizza won't repair my equipment, my help won't work for pizza, and the insurance company doesn't accept pizza as payment.

I say pay me for our service, and I'll buy my own pizza.
  9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Cause like JDiepstra said.... Mark Your Cool, other ppl are stupid and I'm just that Damn good!

..... OK will now that a swelled my own head up LOL!
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea, Well now I know why that guy takes his family there all the time LOL

I couldn't eat it all the time I know that.

I wish it was applebees or something.

Ok Hear me out!..... This Lot is next to some of my other places. It would take me 15mins to plow and salt, no walks. I wouldn't put more then a 100lbs of salt on a bad day there.

The guy doing it now, in a pain in my @$$. Every year I target his accounts hard, trying to get them to switch cause of better service, god knows i could never be that low priced!

So If I did take it:

1. It would be one less lot he had.
    2. He wouldn't be eating there as much ( Hes like 450lbs So i'm helping him out lol)
    3. I do just about every thing else around it.
    4. If we saved them up, we could have a pizza party for the guys and there families or something.
  11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

12. cubicinches

If he keeps eating there, he'll cave in sooner... then you can have all of his accounts. :D

Sounds like you've got enough reasons there... it might be worth your while.
  13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I know LOL

It sounds good but I still hate the Idea of plowing for pizza
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I hate the idea too. I guess you have to look at what its worth to you, like you said its 15 minutes & about $ 5 in salt. What time do they open, at least here its not till lunch ?, take the guys to lunch after each storm ? I don't know what we spend at the local pizza place, I guess pizza once a week ($ 30 x 52), works out to be almost $ 1600. The guys & families will apreciate the "bonus" if you do it that way as well. Up you price for doing as credits ? I would consider it depending on completion time, etc, see what you can come up with.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

...Now if the pizza hut is located inside a nudey bar I'd be all over it.
  16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The pizza or.........................:drinkup:
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it would be a wise move given that you are in the area, and the "hard cash" outlay is nill. Try to get some advertising going to. Brochures/cards on the counter, etc.
  18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We did some plowing for trade last year, and we able to cash in for gift certificates to any number of restraunts, worked out nice, gave them to employees, sent them to preferred customers....It's not a horrible idea in my opinion, yeah your trucks dont run on pizza, but your employees and customers would probably appreciate (albeit small) the gesture.
  19. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Think about this for a moment: What's the profit margin in the pizza business? Costs them a dollar, sell it for 3? (200%) Or maybe even 5 (400%)?

Now what about the profit margin in plowing? 20% 30% 50%???

Add considerably to your price, it doesn't cost him much. He'll be saying it was a donation to a service club or for promotion.

Only do it if you can make use of it as a giveaway or perk to clients or employees, or as a donation to a cause of your choosing.
  20. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

If the business isn't short on customers or cash flow and you have at least some use for the credits go for it! Like others said treat the guys to lunch there, and they wont even know its basically free for you. If you have a real busy winter you can give them out as gifts too lol. I mean its only pizza hut but still if you give your family members $100 pizza hut gift cards at christmas time they will probably be really impressed! oh and I agree with others, make sure the mark up is in your favor.