1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wet snow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by terryb, Dec 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. terryb

terryb Junior Member

HI need your expert advise on how to plow heavy wet snow? I just plow mine and my neighbors drive which are both very steep and long 30 deg> my problem is I leave hard packed snow under the plow which creates one dangerous slipping slope. Cant tell you how many times I have skied the truck down the driveway lol. How do I scrape clean the pavement without making a ice rink. I normally plow with out using the shoes and plow in float position should I add weight to the plow or what. Using a Boss 8' chevy k3500 not dually with about 300lbs of sandbags in the back of the truck.
    Any Advise would be appreciated since I have about a foot of wet snow on the dive now and under a blizzard warning :-(
    Thanks Terryb

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Do you have gravel or paved driveways? First, loose the plow shoes. If you drive over it at all before you plow, you are packing it down. I have driveways that are gravel and I back drag them to get a good coating on them so that I don't scrape up the gravel. But with being on a hill, you will need to go down to the surface for traction.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Start by adding about a thousand pounds of weight in the back of the truck, probably some tire chains if it's even close to 30* slope.

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt it. Or put sand down.

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have one drive like that.Sometimes I have to plow as far as I can then back up it and hit it with the sander.Then turn back around and finish.There's no room to turn around at the top so it"s a real pain.If you pre-treat it it will be a lot easier

6. terryb

terryb Junior Member

Thanks for the advise guys

Thanks for all the advise , tryed to plow it this morning and went over the bank next to the driveway, didn't flip but dam close, was backing up the driveway and the truck slipped and went over luckly had a neighbor pull me out . Will take your advise on the weight, chains even though the are illegal to use on the roads here in Michigan. Had about 20 inch so far and blizzard conditions until Monday. Damm dive way still isn't plowed all the way.
    Thanks Terry b

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Try plowing every couple of inches instead of letting it pile up.

8. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

Thats my driveway too!

I started using chains and weight in my plow truck from day one and always have sand on hand to treat the inevitable ice asap.
    x2 on plowing it off in inches not feet even going out 3 or more times.
    Of course since we basically have no snow yet I have not been able to give the Kubota a test of plowing power