1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wet, heavy snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boondox, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I've been looking at the Blizzard 760LT and the Curtis 7.5' (even though I think it's too heavy for my K1500 w/ timbrens) because of the wicked curve of their blades. I have a steep section about 200 yards long where there's a stone wall on one side and a rock ledge on the other...so the snow pretty much has to be pushed/rolled down the hill until it clears the narrow patch. It seems to me both the Blizzard and Curtis roll snow pretty well.

But...the Fisher dealer said those other blades are fine for the light, fluffy stuff, but the wet stuff tends to stick to them and they lose the ability to roll snow. True? Sales hype? :dizzy: From November till February we have serious cold so the snow is fluffy and easy to move. But snow falling in October or from March till May tends to be very wet and heavy. Does the type of blade really make a difference?

1957 Dodge K8-D100 315ci Poly V8
    1998 Honda Foreman 400 ATV
    1999 Kubota L3010HST
    2002 Chevy K1500 5.3L V8
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think that you'll find that, unless you're moving real fast, the heavy wet snow won't really roll as much as it will be pushed in front of the blade or off to the side in "chunks".

If you think that there's too much snow to push through that pass in one shot, but can still drive through it, then just start halfway down, for example, then go back to the top and move the other half.

The best type of plow in this situation (pushing snow somewhere versus windrowing it) is something that can scoop, like a straight plow with the wings, or a V plow in the scoop mode, or a blizzard with the movable wings. For a 1/2 ton, wings are probably your only choice.

The most curved and highest moldboard that you can put on your truck will be the best, in my opinion.
  3. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

I think the fisher dealer was giving you the business. I have a 760LT and plow 40 residentials and commercials. I have not had a single problem. In fact the blizzard cut 2 hours off my time due to the rolling and back dragging capability. In RI 70% of our snowstorms are wet and heavy.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the dealer is an idiot the curtis was devolped in maine were there is enough wet heavy snow it has an aggressive attack angle there is another guy who has 150 with timberns and works out good
  5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

The best type of plow in this situation (pushing snow somewhere versus windrowing it) is something that can scoop, like a straight plow with the wings, or a V plow in the scoop mode, or a blizzard with the movable wings. For a 1/2 ton, wings are probably your only choice.

The most curved and highest moldboard that you can put on your truck will be the best, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Don't think you can put a 810 blizzard on a 1/2. could be wrong though. :confused:
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No 810 on half tons he said removeable wings (turkey wings) would be the ONLY option. I have a curtis plow and it rolls snow fine, fisher does not have any advantage there. I see what he ment about wet snow, i think he was saying that the trip edge fishers won't loose all the snow like the full trip blizzard and curtis will (when they trip). In my experience i have never had a problem plowing wet snow. As far as the curtis 7'6" on 1/2 ton goes: If you like the plow go for it, you really need to beef up the front end though as the curtis is much heavier then the fisher or blizzard 7'6" plows. I don't know the exact specs on your chevy like FAWR and such. 750 LBS is no problem on my F-150 because it has the highest GVWR possible and i also added timbrens. The truck carried the plow ok even before i got the timbrens.
  7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

what do you expect the fisher dealer to say :rolleyes: oh ya go buy one of those plows becuase there better. no he is going to say that fisher is the best and if you dont get one your a fool.
  8. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

i am new to the site and I noticed that you guys speak of timbrens? What exactly are they because I am looking to get a plow for my 99 ram. Just let me know, if some one would that would be greatly appreaciated.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

10. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I expect him or any professional salesman to tell the truth. It's best to speak highly of your own product instead of badmouthing the competition in a way that's not true. As a result, Fisher lost my business. There's a huge difference between saying "My plow is better because of X, Y, and Z" ... and saying "The other plow sucks." Fisher might make a great plow, but with their salesman (just the one) being dishonest with me it makes me wonder about the rest of the stuff he told me. No trust, no sale. Pete
  11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i would expect it to. but i find just the opposite to be true. if they cant say enough good say a little bad about the others. they are salesmen after all. if you went with fisher i dont think you would be disappointed. but i say go with the blizzard they are made great built to last.
  12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Are we talking about presidential canidates or snow plows here ? LOL
  13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Boondox, another way to remove the snow in the tight section would be to drop the plow, then lift it a little, and take it off in two layers. Experimenting will tell how much you can leave on the ground and still maintain traction. In other words if you get a foot of snow and thats too much to scrape thru that section, lift about six inches off the ground and push that to the open area, then go back for the rest. I like using this method on lots when the snow is deep or wet. I'll go across the lot once, with passes about 6 to 8 feet apart. Then you can take bigger bites with less spill over on the rest of it.
  14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You gota be moving fast to roll snow. The faster you go the better it rolls. You can fling wet snow farthur and not have it blowing over your blade killing visibility. Wet snow rolls better than dry stuff. Give me a big soupy snowcone of a snow any day. Probably wouldnt notice any difference really in rolling ability in any of the blades as long as the surface is fairly clean and not banged to hell. I duno....peeling off layers is recipe for getting stuck IMO. Blade down, angle it all the way, lotsa balast, momentum is your friend. Go as fast as conditions will allow(you gota know what you are plowing) speed rolls snow better, it helps use momentum and is actualy easier on the truck as long as you dont bounce it off a car or a pole or wach a manhole cover LOL. In a big lot with heavy snow I will windrow it till it starts becoming a PITA an too much snow and then will take a few swipes perpendicular to my windrow at regular intervalls along the windrow(how many depends on the lot and how much snow I have) pushing a couple strips twards were i am windrowing to liten the amount of snow I need to push on my windrowing runs and then go back to windrowing. Make sense? Just the way I do it, do it how ever works for you though. :nod: