1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Westrern Cable Mark IIIa wont angle both directions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by The Natural, Dec 27, 2010.

1. The Natural

The Natural Junior Member

Just installed an older cable style Western plow (ISARMATIC Mark IIIa). Plow goes up and down fine. Also stays up without leaking down. My issue is that it angled right and then would not angle left. So I swapped hoses and it went left - so I believe the issue is in the cable throw and or valve adjustment for the angle function. Can anyone share their experience correcting this problem, i.e. making these adjustments? Thanks.

BTW - I've reviewed the mechanics guide online from Western and it was not much help, had pretty crappie pictures.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

remove the cover from the angle valve. the bottom trapezoid shaped one. pull the cable of with needle nose pliers and have someone run the control to make the motor run. now turn the lever up and down. it should angle both ways. when you let go of the lever it should return to neutral. slowly adjust the cable so it will go back on the stud without moving the lever. try the control again and see if it works. slowly adjust the cable until you find the sweet spot.

you will have to loosen the set screw to adjust the cable.
  3. The Natural

Great. Sounds simple enough and confirms that this is most likely just a cable adjustment issue. Thanks, much appreciated.
  4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Be sure the set screw that holds the cable in the housing is secure and does not allow the cable to move in and out of the housing.

Once you get the cable adjusted where it functions properly , be sure the set screw is tight and does not allow movement.

5. The Natural

Will do. Thanks Tom.