1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Westerns Prodigy Snow plow for skid loaders

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by exmark, Sep 4, 2015.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Who has had good or bad experiences with the new western prodigy plow on they're skid loaders? I do several town home associations currently with just a regular 8ft snow bucket on the machine and bring in a back hoe to clear the road ways. However we are picking up new properties and I'm curious to know if anyone has used the prodigy for the driveways and road ways. I am quite curious as to how well they work and how much snow one can take down a road ways after the drives have been back dragged. My main idea is to find out if I can replace that backhoe with an additional skid and still have the jobs completed in a timely manner. Well still have a great finished product. If anyone has any experience. Please let me know. Thank you!

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: I was looking at it, but went with the wide out .worth every penny .its perfect for big or small jobs .go from 8 to 10 ft and being able to control wings was worth it for me .I would buy it again .I would look at it for sure .

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I am interested in this also. In scoop mode the wideout is 8'10" and the Prodigy is 8'7" only 3" difference. Plus the Prodigy comes in a skidsteer model already and should be quiet a bit less money without the pump and motor assembly.

4. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

Prodigy for skid steer is very much a value. Call me when you want to look at one, I have one assembled in the yard. I just mounted one on a Massey tractor that has the quick attach plate.
    You should see time savings in the 25-35% range using a Prodigy vs a straight blade.
    (989)755-4411 ask for Matt, we are in Saginaw

5. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Purchased a prodigy last winter for my 650 Bobcat. Love it! We use it with other machines in a 650 car lot at a hotel.No Issues at all. The only thing you must remember is to put the plow down straight and not at an angle which will cause uneven wear on the ends of the wings. I paid $3300 out the door.

6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

how hard is it to fab up the new wideout for a skid ? What controls does your skid have to have. Float ? Was looking at the prodigy just for ease of out of the box hookup and price.

7. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

My S650's all have A-91 Piolt Controls. There really is no float for this unit unless I would hook-up a separate control to have this feature. If you have good skidsteer skills than do not waste the money on the coast of float control add ons. Just purchased a 10ft Boss push box for a skidsteer and that has a built in float Plus-Minus 3 inches up and down.

8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

my case doesnt have the float option and was wondering if it was needed for the wideout or the prodigy. Also was wanting to know how hard it was to fab up a wideout for the skid? Use boss pushers now and like u said no float needed. Does the prodigy have a slip type hitch like the boss. Are u constantly adjusting the blade to the contour of the pavement without float on the prodigy?

9. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

The hook-up is very close to the boss unit. It is a very good tight fit. You do need to keep a close eye on ground conditions and adjust up and down a slight bit depending on contour of the ground. I got pretty good at it after 2 storms. I am not sure what you mean by fabbing a piece of your unit though? The Boss Box is great for long runs, however the Western Prodigy angles left-right and does circle around the push box.