1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western's "Back Drag Blade"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Meister, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know if this optional blade attachment works well? Also, if it can be used on a standard 7 1/2 pro and not just the pro plus?

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I read some where that they fit all western pro plows. I could have read it on westerns sit.

3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I'm fairly certain they are designed for pro+ only...
    but who sez you can't MAKE 'em fit??!?!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  4. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I believe they were introduced earlier this year on the Pro Plus only. They are now available for all Pro plows although I don't believe for standard plows. There is info on Western's website and I'll be picking mine up on Saturday. I'll let you know how it works with a U-edge once we get some snow.

-Tim

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I scoured the Western site and couldn't find any info on using the back drag scraper on the pro-blade.

Let me know a.s.a.p. flakes:salute:

Cheers

6. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

From what the dealer told me, the back drags from Western fit "all of the steel blades". Sort of leaves us ploy guys out in the cold so to speak..... (Sorry couldn't help myself... :D...

7. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Plow Meister,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Been a busy weekend and been spending too much time reading the "other" topics and trying to figure out WTF's going on here. Anyway...

Here's the info from the Western site (It's in the What's New section on the main page):

BACK DRAG EDGES Now Available for ALL STEEL WESTERN® PRO-PLOWS™

Like our back drag edges available for the PRO PLUS™, PRO-PLOW™ owners will now have the opportunity to outfit their snowplow with this accessory, making it easier to clear snow away from tight areas.

The 8', 8.5' and 9' back drag edges offered for the PRO PLUS will also fit the equivalent size, steel PRO-PLOW. We've added a new 7.5' back drag edge (P/N 64016) to complete our offering for the PRO-PLOW.

Note a bolt kit is required for all PRO-PLOW back drag edges - (P/N 64183). We do NOT have a back drag edge accessory available for our POLY PRO-PLOWS at this time.

Contact your local WESTERN® distributor for your back drag edges today. Please click on Distributor Directory at the top of this page for your nearest WESTERN® distributor.

Picked mine up Saturday but didn't put it on yet.

-Tim

8. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Western back drag edges

Has anyone seen how much these cost?

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I wish fisher would come out with one they are probably a great help when backdragging driveways.:)

10. Snow Assassin

Snow Assassin Junior Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone installed one of these edges on an older western poly plow? I know the Western site says it is not for the poly pro, or any other poly's for that matter, but I do not know why it would not work. Anyone have any thoughts on this, I sure would like to try one out.

Thanks
    Jay

11. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Hi Jay....

I have an 8' Pro Poly and would really like to install a back drag edge. Since Western does not offer one, I'm going to design and build my own. I was a bit concerned that this would void my warranty so I emailed Western and here's they're reply....

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Western does not offer a back drag edge for the poly Pro series snowplow. The poly plow requires a special cutting edge that traps the moldboard in place. If design your own BD edge it will not void your warranty providing the BDE isn't the cause of the problem/damage. Meaning something goes wrong with the hydraulic unit it will still be covered. The BDE wouldn't have anything to do with that. If the BDE comes loose or breaks or whatever and causes damage to the blade sheet or a-frame or something like that then no that would not be covered under warranty. A BDE is the best option to perform better back dragging.

Sincerely,
    Customer Service "

So take that as you wish. I'm going to go ahead with my little project and see what happens....

Dan

12. Snow Assassin

Snow Assassin Junior Member
    from Indiana

Dan

Thanks a bunch for the info, I really appreciate it. I am still not sure what they mean about something trapping the moldboard in place. I have a U edge on the front held on by bolts and big washers, and don't know how adding the back drag edge to the back of the plow would in any way adversely effect the moldboard's stability. I have not seen the edge up close to know, but can't figure how it would change things.

Keep us updated on your edge design if you would.

Thanks
    Jay