1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Porcupine, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

:) I havejust purchased used western plow mid 90's with unimount. It came with both ford and chev mounts. I have ford intall manual. looking for chev install info

2. Mac

Mac Member

I have the wiring diagram for the UniMount on the chev. (Reply back if you would like it) However, I do not have a installion guide, I did it without one and found it easy. If you email western they will send you one. They sent me a owners manual no charge.

3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Need year,make,model, fax#, I'll send you the whole install booklet. if no fax i will e-mail. PT.

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

this plow came with two wiring/headlamp kits. one 12 pin and one 9pin. 12pin has small two prong headlight connectors and 9pin has larger half moon shaped three prong headlight connectors.
    they will not fit headlamps on my 1995 chev.(they are sealed beams.) Are Ford headlamps different. Is there adapters available. Any info appreciated

Thanks

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PORC, A GM install for a newer western plow
    requires a special wiring harness (from western) for a GM.
    If this plow came off a Gm and your gonna
    put it on a Ford . You will need the Ford
    headlight wiring set up..........
    Check your western dealer or
    www.centralparts.com
    Am I right guys ? Correct me if I am mistaken......Geo

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You need the headlight wiring harness,it used to be 50 bucks,but now they are up to almost $90 now,my dealer has them used once in while,for 20 bucks,so ask if they have any used first.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

Did some investigation to-day. Harness seems to match schematic for G.M.. Only problem is that the connectors are for halogen bulbs. I hav sealed beams . Are there adapters.

8. John DiMartino

No adapters,you need the headlight harness,the Fisher,and western are the same one,so if you have a Fisher dealer close,you can go there,trade yours in if they'll give you anything for it,like isais earlier,they are between 50-90 bucks,depending on how long they have had it in stock,i have swapped Unimounts,and minute mounts a bunch of times,this is the only thing electrically that you need to buy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2002
  9. Mac

Mac Member

Grote sells the adpaters you are looking for but you will have to splice them into your harness. I had to do this but the other way around (sealed beams to composite). I just but the adpaters nothing esle. They were $50 cnd. alot cheap then what western qouted me. I got them a UAP locally.

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

If you have to splice them into your harness, why not just buy a couple connectors (the connector that fits sealed beams) and splice them in?

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Junior Member

It case anyone is interested. I got the light harness working. I simply tried replacing halogen connectors with sealed beam connectors purchased at local automotive supplier for $4.00 each cdn. Worked fine. I just replaced the connector that plugs back into the vehicle headlight connector with spade connectors and plugged back into the vehicle headlight connector. I talked to western and a dealer and they both said they had never adapted a harness. All the relays are the same # and for the two lamp two relay system it's not that difficult once you get around the drawings. I don't have DRL's but i can just turn on the headlights.

12. John DiMartino

For the price of the harness,id rather go that route,corrosion will bite those connectors you used./made.its just a matter of time.I hate losing my headlights.I know i get corrosion on the relay end of the harness,no matter what i do,i pull them off in the fall,and pack them in dielctric compound ,but still get corrosion.Glad to hear its working.

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well John, like you said, "...i get corrosion on the relay end of the harness,no matter what i do....".

So with the $80 or so that he saved. He can buy a LOT of dielectric grease.

Personally, I would have soldered them and used shrink tube.

14. morpheus

morpheus Junior Member
    from nj

If ints not to much touble I would appreciate it if you coul e-mail me the unimount wiring diagram.

Thanks