1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c_maint, Sep 22, 2004.

1. c_maint

c_maint Member

At the beginning of last year I bought a new F-350 and 8' western minute mount. I saw the new Western with a back drag blade on them. Can they be installed on my Western? Or is it only for the new blades? I don't want to do any cutting or drilling or welding on my new plow. Any info guys?

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

According to their web site, the Pro-Plow Plus comes ready to accept the backdrag cutting edge. It dosen't say if the Pro-Plow will accept the back drag cutting edge without modifications. Do you have a uni-mount plow or a new style ultra-mount plow? I have never heard of a minute mount Western Plow. :waving:

3. c_maint

c_maint Member

My mistake. I meant uni mount.

4. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Back drag blade

I have an old (1987) cable operated pro-plow and it bolts right on

5. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I have mounted the back drag edge on my two uni mount pro plows, 8' and 7' 6", without any problems last season. I have also mounted the back drag edge on my recently purchased 8' ultra mount. The back drag edge is around $80.00 and you need to get the special long bolt kit which is around $20.00. There is no fabrication or modification to get the back drag edge to fit the plow. The only problem that you might find is that your cutting edge has worn enough that the back drag edge, once installed, will support the plow instead of both edges having contact with the ground. You should easily be under $200.00 for both cutting edges and the long bolt kit if you desire to go that route.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I've been away for a while and this backdrag edge is new to me so please cut me a break for asking a dumb question. If both edges contact the plowing surface has anyone noticed a difference in fuel mileage while operating this set up?

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i know you can buy in in accessories page

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Guys, thanks for all the info on the backdrag blades. Are they very effective? Thinking about getting one.

9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Plowjockey -
    I don't know if it makes a difference in fuel mileage, but then again when I'm plowing I'm not concerned with it. I would imagine that it doesn't make much of a difference. Sorry I couldn't help you with your question.

Boast Enterpris -
    I believe they make a bit of a difference when you are back dragging a small area. I've found out that if you were to back drag a lager area or a lot of snow, the blade eventually starts to ride up in the mound of snow between the rear of the plow and the front of the vehicle. As for plowing forward, I haven't seen a difference in the scraping ability of the plow.

Rick

10. c_maint

c_maint Member

Thanks for the help. :nod:

11. PLOWMAN45

i think they make a diffrence

12. c_maint

c_maint Member

So, do you guys think it's worth it?

13. PLOWMAN45

do you do alot of backbladding thats the ?

14. c_maint

c_maint Member

About 3/4 of my accounts.

15. plowjockey

Thanks for the information, Zamboni. I really like the sound of this new addition to the Western line of options.

Bruce

16. PLOWMAN45

i guess its worth then

17. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Plowjockey -
    I wouldn't call it new, because this is going on its third season being out. Good luck and enjoy the new addition to your plow!

18. plowjockey

Just new to me, I've been kind of out of the loop for a while. LOL

Bruce