1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wont Move!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirtbike22002, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dirtbike22002

dirtbike22002 Junior Member
    from m

Hi guys, so I'm kind of new to the plow scene or at least the repair scene. Two years ago I got my first plow truck. The truck is an F250 with an older western unimount plow. For the first year I had the plow I had no issues with it at all and plowed all winter with it. Last year i was away at school and unable to plow but, now this year I am back and ready to push some snow. The problem I'm having though is when I Hooked up my plow the other day to do the before season check over it wont move at all. I'm getting power to the controller and 12 volts through the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid because my old one looked like it was from when the plow was originally put on the truck and still had no change. Also I relocated the solenoid because I thought that it may not have been grounding very well but still to no avail. What happens is when i hit the joystick the motor will run but nothing will move. Also it seems like its drawing alot of power from my truck because my lights will dim and my gauge on my dash will go almost to the lowest point it can. I have also changed the fluid in my plow because it was low and needed to be changed anyways. Any help you guys can provide me with would be awesome!!!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Double check the bumper connections, especially the power for the motor. Make sure they are clean and fit tightly. You can use a small screwdriver to spread the to large pins for the motor power.

3. dirtbike22002

from m

Just went out and tried that. No luck. It really
    Seems like something is slowing the motor down so I did a voltage test on each part of the circuit. 14v at the battery and to the solenoid. Then when the controller is engaged 10v at the other post of the solenoid and then when I went down to the grill connection it was back up to 14v and then when I tested at the motor it was only at 6v. Any ideas?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So, when your going up, does the plow actually go up? When u go left it right does the plow move?

5. dirtbike22002

from m

The plow won't move at all

6. dieselss

Ok. Then the tests you need to do.
    Remove the pos plow cable off the solenoid. Leave the batt one.
    Test light and jumper wire along with rubber band are needed. Remove the plastic cover hiding the 3 coils on the pluw
    Take test light clip to neg batt (jumper wire if not long enough) rubber band the controller 'up, left, or right" the take the test light and ck for pwr at the coils under the cove. You should have 1 or 2 lighting up depending upon function. Then ck to make sure you have gnd and the og/bk wires at the coils. If you want you can also ck to make sure there working by cking the magnetism with a screwdriver. Repot back your findings

7. dirtbike22002

from m

So I did the tests that you told me to with no luck at all. None of the coils had any magnetic pull on them. Also I used a multimeter to test what kind of voltage is going to those coils. The left/right coil had 14v constantly going to it for some reason. The up had 8v going to it and the down had 10v going to it (which I'm assuming is what it is supposed to have because it says 10v on the coils.) I'm not sure if i have stated this before but it just seems like there is a huge draw being put on the entire electrical system of the truck when you hit the plow controller. The voltage gauge on the truck drops and if any lights are on they dim to almost the point of not being on. In my opinion it seems like there is a short somewhere but I just can't figure out where. Sorry for taking so long with the reply its been a little busy the past few days.

8. dieselss

Test light only! A meter will lie. Re do it with a test light

9. dirtbike22002

from m

Ok just did it. All are getting power as they should

10. dieselss

Ok. So you have pwr and gnd at the correct coils per the correct function correct?
    So are the coils getting magnetized as they should then?

11. dirtbike22002

from m

Will the pull be strong or not very noticeable?

12. dieselss

If you put a screwdriver near or on the ends, where the nuts are. You should feel it

13. Dirtbike, you keep saying how much a draw there is.

Take the motor off and jump the the motor with jumper cables.
    I would bet your motor is not turning resulting in huge amperage draw.

regards,
    SPW Tech

14. dirtbike22002

from m

I thought the same. Just put a brand new motor on it. Could it be that there's air in the rams and it's keeping them from moving properly? If so how would I go about bleeding the air out?

15. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

They self bleed the air.
    So does the motor run or just grundt?

16. dirtbike22002

from m

It will run but it seems like it's slower than it should be

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try pulling motor of and turning the pump shaft. Maybe pump is seized. :confused:

18. dirtbike22002

from m

Tried it. Shaft spins just fine. One bit of progress I was able to make. Or at least I think it's progress? Haha. Was that I took the lines off that go to the left/right rams and moved the plow back and forth to drain all the fluid. I then stuck the hose for the ram that pushes right into a bottle of hydraulic fluid and rocked the plow again until it filled the hose and air stopped bubbling out when I pushed the plow left. Once I had done this I put the hose back on the pump and when I pressed the right control on the joystick the plow moved right! That's why I was asking about the air. But once I went to do it with the other hoes I realized I wouldn't be able to because as I rocked the plow/filled up the remaining empty hose it began to push the fluid out of the other one. So that was the only successful thing I had happen tonight

19. Kas

Kas Junior Member
    from Idaho

My BOSS is doing the exact same thing

I put my BOSS away last year. Changed fluid and ran it working it in all functions multiple times. Hooked it up this year and the pump is trying, but nothing moves. I checked all connections and have power in the correct places. Fluid level is correct. I bought this plow new in 1999 and mounted it on a 1999 82HP Kubota and have used it every winter since. It has preformed flawlessly and the toughest part of plowing snow with this combination is keeping the heat in the cab adjusted......until now, it will not move.:mad::mad:

20. Kas

Kas Junior Member
    from Idaho

Plow wont move

Dirtbike,

Took my electrical guy with me to look at the plow. I knew it had to be electrical. We found that the wires had pulled loose from the plug joining the plow to the tractor. He cleaned up and reconnected the wires and instant perfection.

I felt stupid for not spending more time checking things out. I had power at all the right points, just not enough good connection. Good Luck!xysport