1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wont Angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 86FB385K10, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

I just bought a 7.5 Western plow with the isarmatic cable operated motor/pump. I have bought brand angling rams, cables, hoses, 90's on the angling rams, quick connects, and fresh fluids. I dont have any bents prongs in the controller so the raise is not being activated while i am trying to go left or right. I have tried adjusting the 4 way valve cable in 1/4 inch increments all the way up and down. I have also tried adjusting the lift valve in 1/8 inch increments. I have had no luck with any of this. I also had to remove the 4 way housing because the roll pin had come out of the shaft that the rotor is on. even with new roll pin and adjustments I cannot get this plow to angle. I have over 1000 dollars into this plow within the last three weeks and I just want to plow my driveway, If anybody has any advice they can give me to help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it. thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming that the motor is running when u try to angle??

3. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

Yes the motor is running when angling

4. dieselss

Ok. Did you try and angle it by moving the linkages at the pump by hand?
    If not. Did you watch the linkages move while Someone moved the stick?
    Just making sure that you.have full movement at the linkage. Bofore we go any farther

5. dieselss

Also,,,you can goto Westerns website and look up the mechanics guide there. Just fyi

6. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

I did try moving the linkage at the pump and that did not work either. I have also downloaded and printed out the manual and mechanics guide to references all of the adjustments.

I mentioned that I replaced the angling rams, is there a specific way to bleed the air out of them or do they just bleed out themselves?

7. dieselss

They bleed themselves,,so that's not an issue. So did the plow angle at one time and now stop. Or it never did?
    Could also be crossover valve stuck

8. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

I have never had it angling, where is the cross over valve located?

9. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

So I spent the last 4 hours trying everything that I could think of to get this plow to angle left and right. With the left/right control cable disconnected I had my brother engage the pump with the controller stick while I moved the linkage and got no movement. The pump is engaging fine, but no movement. I adjusted the cushion valves and lift valve and i had no luck. I can move the plow back and fourth by hand with help fairly easy. The pump will lift the blade with ease but no angling to speak of. It acts like it wants to sometimes but it barely twitches. I think I am losing my mind on this one. Any ideas? Please...............Help me

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Here is a link to the mechanics guide. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13497_020088.pdf. Hope it helps!

11. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

So I finally was able to plow my driveway this evening. There was no seat, or ball valve in the lower cushion valve, UGH. Luckily I had an extra pump for parts laying around. Still very touchy/slow moving left and right but it works. Just in time too, we have almost a foot of snow already. Thanks for everybodys ideas and willingness to help

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Slow moving could just be a dirty screen/filter on the hydro pump. Glad to hear its working!

13. 86FB385K10

86FB385K10 Junior Member

I actually found the issue because I took the pump apart. I cleaned the filter screen, blew out all the passageways on the pump, and valves, cleaned it and refilled with fresh fluid after I was done putting it back together. Could old or work cushion valves, or lift valve be the culprit. I cut a pop can for the shim in between the pump boxy and 4 way valve housing, maybe that is not the right thickness. There also seems to be some play in the rotor where the roll pin is inserted. Would buying a new rotor shaft, roll pin, shims and seals be a good place to start, or should I go with lift and cushion valves? What do you think

14. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

What about parts from that other pump you have? Not sure where to start but you can usually find a used pump like your real reasonable. I would go that route.