1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Freedew773, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Freedew773

Freedew773 Junior Member

I have a two plug western plow and a 3 plug 4 port module. . What side should be converted if coneversion is even possible... Thanks.. truck is a 96 chevy 1500..

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It would be easier to convert the plow to the 3 plug set-up.

3. Freedew773

Freedew773 Junior Member

Do you know what I would need off hand..

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Plow side control and light harness since I don't believe the 2 plug light harness has the looped ground in it to tell module the plow is hooked up.

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Can't he covert the plow to a three plug cheaper?

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That's what I said, Plow side. Thumbs Up

7. jarhead1349

jarhead1349 Junior Member

I converted my 2 plug Unimout to a 3 plug last year.

You will need harness 28053 which is a kit that has #26359 and #26347. You can reuse your battery cable.

On the plow, if the upper headlight bracket is longer than 9-1/2" then you will need kit 63532/63533. These are the shorter headlight arms. The harnesses above aren't long enough.

All this is assuming your plow will mount to the truck in the first place. If you have a Unimount plow and the truck has Ultramount hardware, you will also need kit #27170.

You can get all this stuff at pretty fair prices on-line. Due to the weight of the 27170 kit, shipping is EXPENSIVE, so I recommend buying it locally. I could have saved $50.00 buying on line but it was over $100.00 to ship it to me.

If you want to know who I bought all my stuff from, PM me.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

We need better info on the plow.

How old is this plow?

The new westerns are 2 plug fleet flex... you are going to want to do the truck side.

If it is a 1st generation early ultra mount or a uni mount with the relay 2 plug style, plow side is the better route.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, that! things get complicated since old relay wiring is two plug, and so is new multiplex wiring. need to know more about what he's talking about before we throw all these part numbers out there.

10. jarhead1349

My apologies to all - I jumped to the conclusion that he has an old(er) plow.

I assumed (yes, I know what happens) that since the truck is a '96, he didn't have Fleet Flex.

In my haste to help, I didn't gather all the information.

Freedew773 and Philbilly2 like this.
  11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

No apologies necessary dude. .. that's what we're all here for. plus you had some good info in your post too.

Freedew773 and Philbilly2 like this.
  12. Philbilly2

Don't apologize bud! Your info is exactly what he needs if his plow is a uni or an early ultra!

Most of us only have much of our knowledge due to being call out on it before by someone else... :nod:

Freedew773 likes this.
  13. Philbilly2

So Freedew, I see that you have been back to like all of our banter... any info on the plow so we can continue to argue among ourselves?? :confused::clapping::nod::dizzy::laughing:

Freedew773 and nealybird like this.
  14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

LOL. yes, I noticed that too. thanks for the like's and welcome to the forum, and hope you come back soon!

Freedew773 likes this.
  15. Freedew773

Freedew773 Junior Member

Lol.. it's a old style 2 plug power supply. So I ordered the kit from storks for 140.. I have the big brackets but they want 65 for smaller ones so I'll cut and weld my own.. thanks for the help and entertainment. .

16. Philbilly2

Very good, glad to hear you got it.
    Now back to the useless arguing about a problem that is already solved... :terribletowel::terribletowel::laugh:

jarhead1349 likes this.
  17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

... sweet! .. so what you're actually saying is that jarhead1349 is like a psychic genius! :)

jarhead1349 likes this.
  18. jarhead1349

More lucky than psychic...I could have very well sent you out the door spending $200 on parts you don't need and won't work....

Glad it all worked out.

19. Freedew773

Freedew773 Junior Member

I always take the advice and look into it myself.. the numbers helped me get on the right track.. thanks again guys for help..