1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by michbow, Apr 6, 2013.

1. michbow

michbow Junior Member

I inadvertently backed up and broke some wires off the side of my Western Pro Plus/Ultra Mount System plow motor and need some help.

The wires are the green, blue and white with yellow stripe that plug in to the side of the plow motor, underneath the plastic cover/housing. I see there is a diagram inside of the plastic cover showing where these wires are supposed to connect. I can see the white and yellow striped wire connects to the 2w coil, the green to the 3w coil but I cant figure out how the blue wire attaches to the 4w coil, the male connector on the coil looks too big for the female plug. The female plug of the blue wire would only fit on to one of the 4w coil male prongs. Does it just connect to ONE of these posts on the 4w coil?

I also have a red and black striped wire that's coming off from the 2w coil, that runs to another female connector which also has a black and red striped wire coming rom it. I'm thinking this other wire coming from this female connector got ripped in two and is actually the one that runs up and connects to the negative post on the side of the plow motor. Does the red and black striped wire coming from the 2w coil to the female connector and the one which I think runs to the negative post on the motor, both connect then on the other post of the 4w coil?

If my assumptions are right on where these connections are made, does it matter what post the ground wire running from the 2w coil and the negative post on the motor connects to on the 4w coil?

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this because of my own stupidity but I thought this was the best place to turn for help. Hopefully somebody understands what I'm trying to explain. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much guys for your consideration!!!!

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I would suggest going to westerns website and download the manual and mechanics guide for your plow. They are free and will give you all the info you need. My guess is that it doesn't matter which terminal on the coil either wire is connected to as the coil gets power and the valve opens. I may be wrong because of the multiplex design of the ultra plus design.
    Good Luck!

3. michbow

michbow Junior Member

Thanks, I went there but am just a little confused as to what Manuel to download.
    I'll retry.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It doesn't matter which terminal is the ground wire on the coil. Yes blue goes to the one you think and the ground jumps from one to the next to the next.

5. michbow

michbow Junior Member

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all your help.
    Wayne

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Untitled.png

7. michbow

michbow Junior Member

Thanks again, appreciate you guys taking your time to help a brother out!
    Wayne

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Hope everything worked out!

9. michbow

michbow Junior Member

So I guess I'm just a little confused about the ground wires. I can see where they jump from coil to coil. On the 4w coil it has a black/red ground wire connecting to one of its male posts but also has an additional black/red ground wire coming out of that wire connector, that's been broken in two. I also have that black/red ground wire coming off the negative stud on the side of the plow motor thats been broken in two.
    Are these two ground wires actually one wire that's been broken in two and therefore just simply needs to be connected together? Or, are these actually two separate ground wires that go/ground somewhere else?
    Thanks again.

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You should connect them separately.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Probably the same. Depending on you setup. Is it one harness from coils to the grill connector? Or is there a break out in that harness to the lights?

12. michbow

michbow Junior Member

One harness from truck to the coils containing the white/yellow, blue and green wires. I don't see anywhere else the black/orange wire coming off the 4w coil could go other than the negative post on plow motor in order to ground the coils. I'm thinking that wire and the black/red wire coming off the negative post on the plow motor are the same wire and it just broke in two. They're the same size, color etc.
    Thanks

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes same wire. Just goes from negative on plow motor to one terminal of all 3 coils. You are correct.

14. michbow

michbow Junior Member

Thanks Western1, I appreciate all your help!
    Wayne

15. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

No problem! Hope everything works out.