1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Smith2287, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Well did a search and nothing really came up so here it goes. I want to buy a set of wings for my western 8' pro plow. My only problem is that I do all commerical lots with no large machines so I plow right to the curbs and then bank the snow. I just want to know if I will just break the wings off or do they have any give and expand out. I always try to bank the snow over the curb but every know and then i clip it when lifting the blade. I just don't want to throw away the 500+ if I am going to destroy them.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You will prob. have to reinforce the crap out of them. Unless you can pick up the plow each time before the curb, you will most likely destroy the wings.
  3. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

I always pick up the plow when getting close to the curbs to bank it as high as I could. But every know and then when lifting the blade it clips the curb with the cutting edge. This is what I am worried about because I don't want to snap them off.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

SMITH2287, what type of wings are you looking at? I bought a used Western 8'-6" MVP that came with wings (10'-6" total) but the bottom contact area is made of rubber. They only stick forward a little bit. I have not yet used this plow so maybe I am missing something but I don't think they would break going over curbs because the rubber appears to be the only thing that may com e in contact with it. I am not sure what brand they are (after market) but I probably could find out if you wish.
  5. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

I was going by the wings that I found on western's website which look like they are steel like the plow. I have yet to see them in person that is why I am asking.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I am assuming you have a Pro Plus plow. I looked at the web site just now and from the pictures I saw it looks as though the Western's wing cutting edge is rubber as well. I could not find specs to be sure but this set up looks as if you woud be OK to go ver curbs. I would bet that they took this into consideration when they designed it. Maybe you could contact them or your dealer to inquire. BTW do you know how much these cost? I could use these on my 8" Pro Plus.
  7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

ive never used em but my plow guy was tellin me about the boss ones that are like the western ones. i was havin problems bendin pro wings so he said to go with the factory ones casue they are made just like the plow, weigh a ton and are extremely strong, you should be fine i would think. he really seemed to like them
  8. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

I have an MVP plus. I also have the matching western wings. Be very careful. They are strong, but not invincible like you think your blade is. They are only held in by two 3/4 inch pins at the side and one pin on top. Yes the cutting edges are rubber, but repeated banging on curbs will bend the lower pin. Hit it harder and you will tweak the entire wing. It will still stay on, but under load will come out of the hole and let snow pass through.

2007 dodge ram 3500 mega cab DRW. Western 9.5 MVP plus with wings, Snoway stainless vbox electric salter. LET IT SNOW. LET IT SNOW. LET IT SNOW.
  9. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

I have them on a Pro-Plus, they are

wonderful, and you can tweak them, as I did mine. If you install them drill a hole in the pin and put a retaining pin in them. They are expensinve, but in my opinion well worth the $, certainly better than the universal models, I think you need a Pro-Plus for MVP Pro for them to work though.
  10. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

they will fold if you don't drill and pin but they are strong and I wouldn't run my plows with out them
  11. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys I am going to pick up a set on monday and hopefully get to try them out tuesday if this storm does come in.