1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wings on pro plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by clarky66, Jan 5, 2009.

1. clarky66

clarky66 Junior Member

I bought a pair of western plow wings and i am looking to put them on an eight foot western pro plow.Has anyone done this before?
  2. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Seems doable, saw a post on here last year with a guy with a non western plow that had fabbed them on. With a bit of fabbing should be good, was thinking of doing the same, pro wings dont hold up and buying a new set for each plow every year is getting old. Only thing is dealer quoted me through the roof for the western wings.
  3. clarky66

clarky66 Junior Member

I should be installing them tonight. I'm going to try to get some pics during fabrication. Hopefully they perform the way I envision ,if not, they might be for sale.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Im guessing that you actually have a set of Buyers aftermarket wings?

Not to bad of a job, A extra set of hands and a few pairs of vise grips help. I usually mock the wings up to the plow without the rubber edge and clamp the hinges in place and if i like the location then get them bolted,on, before i drill the hole in the mold board.
  5. clarky66

clarky66 Junior Member

Western plow wings

No they are Western wings, not Buyers. I almost went with the Pro wings but I remembered a friend of mine who owns a lawncare and snow plow business bought a pair last year and only used them once. He had to put some curb guards on his plow for some accounts so he couldn't use them. I saw him out last week during a storm and asked if he wanted to sell them. I've hooked him up with alot of tree work over the years, so he gave me a hell of a deal on the wings. I just traded up to an 8' foot steel western pro from a 7.6" poly midweight.Big difference and hopefully the wings will cut my time down even more in my big lots.
  6. clarky66

clarky66 Junior Member

Western plow wings

Finally got them installed over the weekend. I used them the next day and I can see a huge difference in the amount of snow I'm moving. Waiting for a big storm to really test them. If I get a spare moment I'll post some pics.
  7. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I have a 8' UltraMount Pro-Plow.. Is that what you have?? Was told that I need to get aftermarket wings to put on my plow from the place I got the plow from. I need to get something because my clean up is taking to long. Let me know.. Thanks:salute:
  8. clarky66

clarky66 Junior Member

Yes I have a western ultramount 8 foot pro plow. I fabbed the wings to fit by drilling two holes in the the side curved support on the plow to fit the wings in. The pro plus comes set up for this. Then I notched a little bit out of the next support to gain clearance for the wing to fit in. What I did to secure the wing in place was weld a piece of steel to the curved support closest to the bracket on the wing,drilled a hole in the bracket and bolted it together. On the pro plus this rests up against the support on the back side of the plow. I then drilled another hole in the top of the wing and added another bolt just to keep the top secured to the plow. I personally like the wings secured to the plow as opposed to the set up on the pro plus that is held by one pin. I am the only operator so I'm not worried about bending them.I have kept them on since I did this and don't plan on taking them off, but if I had to I could still remove them in about two minutes. There was a little bit of space between the rubber cutting edge and the plows cutting edge. It would fill in with packed snow but I bought some bailer belt from tractor supply and filled in the space by bolting it to the rubber cutting edge on the wing. It works well and seems to make the rubber edge a little more rigid. If you get the wings it can be done and it is worth it.
  9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I would like to see your pics.
    I just did the same install on my MVP last weekend and am curious about how you did yours.
    I would also like to know if have the trip edge or a full trip plow.
    My post is over Here with a lot of pictures on how I did my install in the PDF on #24.