1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wings - How well do they work?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PerfiCut L&L, Dec 11, 2005.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I just put a new western plow on and ran it for the first time this week. Plow works great. Anyway. I have a large lot with several isles of parking. Its a pita trying to ply the isles when theirs cars parked since you cant push it to one side or the other, you have to basical push it to the end then off to a corner.

Problem is after about 10' snow starts falling off either side of the plow, so Im thinking of getting the wings to help create a scoop effect.

Im not familiar with the wings on westerns plows, and forgot to look at a setup at the dealer. So my question is this. I assume they are manualy activated, so how much of a hassle is it to put them on/ take them off/ when you want to use them.

How do you all do it? leave them on all the time, or on & off as needbe, or leave one side on the other off, to still allow you to angle and push snow to one side.
  2. wddodge

wddodge Member

I put a set of Pro wings on maybe 7-8 years ago and the only time I take them off is when I store the blade in the summer. The only thing that I've changed is I put 1 1/2 in thick rubber on them instead of the 3/4 in that came with them. I think they work great.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

don't forget that western only makes wings for their pro plus plows. I have them and they work great. You don't get as much with as the buyers Pro wings, but you get more carring capacity due to them sitting out further. I don't take mine off at all. Have not had a problem windrowing or anything. Makes clean up and moving snow really nice.
  4. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

Where did you get the thicker rubber from? Thanks!
  5. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

You can make them in several different ways, and you can also add them to one side or both. It's up to you. I prefer to have it on the passenger side, and angle your blade a little, and cut all the snow to your left. Of course it all depends on the amount of snow you are moving & how big the area is, Good Luck. :)
  6. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

Thanks, I'll look into it!
  7. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i have them on my new pro plus, i do like them and yes help move alot of snow faster,,, really can pile high too, i did learn a lesson the hard way,, on oneof my worst accounts i hit a rock? stump? onthe edge of the drive and tweaked one, ouch,, prolly can restraightn? but bought a new one, instead a lesson learned,,, i was just too lazy to take them off,, i gotta be more careful ,,
  8. mico lanscaping

mico lanscaping Junior Member

I run them on two truck... the one is 95 f-250 7.5 and with the wings 9.2... the ultra mount pro plus is on 06 f-250 super duty, i am not a big fan on the wings.. you can still get any pro wings there just after market.. thats what i have to say see ya!payup
  9. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

we got 4 sets of western pro wings this year.

i felt they increased our speed by 15 to 20%.

didn't seem to have to go back over as much snow being left behind in windrolls.