1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wings (bad design)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by big schmitty, Jan 26, 2011.

1. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I have the pro plow wings on my plow and have damaged both of them over the last 3 years of having them. I have purchased 2 pair of these since i have had it including the original set. The last one I bought was less than a month ago and I was doing a favor for my brother, plowing a customer of his and did not know the lot. I was being careful but I caught the corner of a parking bumper and bent the :realmad: out of my new wing. I absolutely refused to buy another one, so I fixed them both the way they should have been built from the factory. IMHO!

Here are the pics of the damaged wing and how I gusseted it, so it can not bend so easily. the third pic is of a collar I put on the guide pins, because when the wing catches on something, it pulls the guide pin out away from the plow, therefore collapsing the two gusseted supports in the rear. The collar will not allow the guide pin to pull out out of position and can't collapse the supports. I have about 6 hrs in redoing both wings. I plan to sand blast them and powdercoat them after this season. I hope this helps someone out and saves you some money.

damadged wing.jpg

repaired wing.jpg

wing collar.jpg

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Way to go! That's a lot stronger for sure.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Looks like simple, logical engineering, well done! Just keep in mind that every piece of steel you add to the plow adds load to your lift. And consider too... since your wings are so strong now what is going to give when you hit something next time? Perhaps the wings are designed to bend kinda like new cars are designed to crush. I would expect something much more expensive to bend or break next time. Drive carefully my friend....

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

maybe getting some low grade shear pins/bolts to hold the wing on? a lot easier to slap a new pin/bolt on in the parking lot than rewelding a setup.

i say this because i have the buyers wings (love em) and clipped a curb, the lower mount that bolts to the mold board came off because the bolts snapped. no damage to anything else. new bolts and i was on my way.

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

just drill the pins where you put your collar on and put a pin through it....

or as i had to do in Chicago.....drill through the wing and the plow and put and American LOCK on them because where i park.....wings will walk right off the god damn plows....

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with the shear bolts, that's a good idea. Some grade three or softer would be good. Too bad about the ones that grew legs and walked away...

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nice reinforcing there except next time you clip something with them it will just tear the pin bracket off the power bar, they always do.

Bent Western wings are certainly nothing new, they're inherently designed to give right where yours did, as they all do. When an obstacle is struck with an add on wing something has to give.

8. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

had ours for 30 days and they both did the same thing i have a welder coming to fix them ill show him these pics

9. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Everyone had concerns about tearing up something else, like the power bar or ripping the pin mounts off. Well it's been 3 wks and 3 storms later with 3 in of ice and 6 in of snow and not one problem. I hit a few curbs and some parking bumpers and instead of it ripping the wing out of position, the plow jumped the curb with no damage. The wings actually seem to work better being stiffer instead of being loosely pinned on the plow.

10. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

sounds good ill take pics of ours when there done im gonna paint them on monday

11. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i have primed them since them but i got rustoleom saftey red for them
    and the welder changed the bottom around so that the wings hit curbs the same time the cutting edge does.
    sorry about the sloppy pic
    we put cotter pins in the top and bottom mini rails

2011-02-14_10-59-53_591.jpg

2011-02-14_10-59-44_242.jpg

12. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

I would get ride of the collar with the setscrew..... Just drill it and put a nice big pin in it with a washer so you can remove them quick if you need to.

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

A better pic or two of how you changed the bottom so the cutting edge hits a curb at the same time the wing does? Thanks.

14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

Will do just paint ed them red today

15. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Thanks looking forward to seeing them.

16. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

sorry it took so long

2011-02-23_14-46-06_761.jpg

2011-02-23_14-46-30_493.jpg

2011-02-23_14-46-44_639.jpg

17. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Thanks. Have you put them to the test yet?

18. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

There is no snow in columbus right now

19. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Let me know after you try them out.