1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wing failed horribly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kc2006, Feb 10, 2015.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

So I just got a set of western wings and put them on a few weeks ago, plowed about 5 or 6 times with them on. The other day I was plowing a lot, in the very middle of the lot there must have been a piece of slush from a car that fell onto the lot and then froze, whatever it was it wasn't big, maybe 6-8" diameter but it was pure snow/ice. I must have hit it with the wing and wow did the wing fail. It was hanging off the plow only held on by the pin in the rear, bent both pins that slip in the side of the blade, the angled rib on the backside pushed upward which bent both vertical ribs also putting a kink in the face, then the worst it pushed the big brace that wraps around back to where you pin it on. The big brace in the back is bent upward almost 2", and both pieces of metal (looks like thicker than 1/4" each) are buckled some.

Yea, the whole thing is warped, from a piece of snow/ice. I could see smacking a curb at 30+mph but never would have expected this much damage from ice at 15mph. I had my brother with me in the truck and he was even in shock because it wasn't a violent hit or anything, I thought my blade guide just bent at first.

Has anyone seen this type of damage from a non-abuse incident like this? I'm starting to wonder if that wing was just a turd from the factory with something wrong integrally in the metal. I'll get pics tonight when I go in the shop, I had to walk away from it because it was so upsetting to spend almost 600 on wings and them fail like that in under a month.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think something may have been wrong with your wing. I've had mine for about seven years and they hold up real well. I smack them fairly regularly on rebar drivewsy markers (not on purpose) and had one piece of rebar get wedged between the wing and the blade, but no damage whatsoever.

I got mine around 2007 for my 8.5' MVP. If your equipment is newer, maybe the material composition changed (ie: weaker)?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Where are the pics. :realmad:

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

One my new V plow with wing they did same thing pins bent and it came off the plow it was the driver side. My guy side he had a load and heading to a pile and wing pop off
    I heated them and they bent back way to easy
    One set I had since 03 They rattle so bad I threaded the pins and put nuts on them think I did that in 05.
    My set on my V plow starting rattle bad this its first winter.
    You spent $600 I paid $400+ tax each set for mine With out looking thinking was $445. You got screwed

5. Antlerart06

Good point Might be using the recycle steel if so it weak has hell and voids can be found in it.

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Look anywhere online they're $595 and up, local dealers want $700+ for them. I actually paid around $500 shipped, I forgot qte gave them to me discounted because I bought them with a plow. Looks like we both got screwed with crap wings.

7. Antlerart06

That's where I bought mine with the plow for $445 just look at invoice But I did buy 3 plows from them to I might got fleet price

Its that dang black paint

8. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Best attempt at pics, I tried putting some heat to it and pounding it back, but it's so far out I'm going to have to make cuts and reweld stuff. The vertical ribs had bulges about 1" out where I heated them and beat them back in. The worst is the big back brace now, it won't even pin on the plow, the back brace sits about 2" above where it should. I should have got pics before I started to straighten it out.

IMG_5840.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

9. Antlerart06

Forgot to add mine was the Pro plus wings.
    What are yours?

What side was it on your plow ?

0117151003a.jpg

10. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Yea I was mad that they were black too, all the pictures have them as red so I thought they'd match the plow.

The pics look weird because it resized them on here. The first is the best to show how twisted the back brace is. I'm bringing it to a friends, we're going to hold the wing down with his skid bucket then heat the back brace up and try bending it back, no good way to hold this down and get a pry bar in there to bend it.

11. Antlerart06

O wow it really bent yours up My guy stop soon he seen the marker get flop over

It didn't take much with mine to straighten them

12. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Mines the pro plus, it was passenger side. My drivers side has almost a 3/4-1" gap between the wing and blade from the factory, nothing spills because of the angle but I thought that was crappy too that it doesn't sit up to the blade.

13. Antlerart06

Yes No good way to

After seeing your popping off think going make sure mine doesn't do that again

14. Antlerart06

That is same as mine
    Did your driver side keeper pin did it fit perfect, mine I had to bend it little so the pin would fit both holes or I was going have to grind one hole

15. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Both pins fit with no problem, they used to go on and off real easy. I would agree that the worst damage was from the pins popping out of the holes in the side of the wing. If you make them to where they're locked in, I don't think everything would have bent. It was so bent when it happend that I had about a 7" gap in the bottom between the wing and blade.

16. Antlerart06

Yep
    Well my old set I threaded the pins On it you need a socket to remove them
    I may have do same to these

Save the headache down the road No snow in forecast for a week good time fix stuff the right way

17. Antlerart06

You get your wing straighten out

18. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

No I haven't had time yet, I messed with it some but I'm going to have to hear both of the pieces on the back brace and then get a bar in between them and straighten back that way. Tomorrow I'll be messing with it, wish me luck.

19. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

We have had a lot of problems with our wings, also. We have 5 sets and lately we have been bending one per night. Is there any way to strengthen them? We know not to push into ice piles but sometimes the curbs will get you. Some one told me that boss plows have stronger wings. Any changes will have to wait til next year. Just cut and reweld for now.

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I also had major failure with my first set of wings that I purchased ~4 seasons ago. One of them bent badly and when I took it to the welder (assuming I had caused it) he showed me how the welds didn't adhere so it was doomed to fail from the start.

He looked at the other non-broken one and it was near failure as well. Western warrantied the broken wing but not the other one because it hadn't broken yet :dizzy: I even sent pictures of the cracked welds and I was still denied. Talk about frustration! I was a HUGE HUGE Western fan at the time - and I still am to a certain degree - but that really left a sour taste in my mouth.