1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western wing attachments

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bmcbjc2, Feb 27, 2015.

1. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I purchased new wing attachments for my pro plus plow.Not thinking.This hasn't been a very good purchase.I don't use them all the time and the cutting edge on the plow is shorter than the wings causing the front on the plow to sit off the ground.I don't really want to get rid of them after two uses but they have been a waste of $ so far.Any one else have this problem? Thank u in advance

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Leave the wings on to wear down the edges. Wings are great for letting you really put the snow where you wsnt it with less pushes. I only tske mine off when the snow is really wet and heavy.

3. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I would like too but it leaves my cutting edge offthe ground like 3/4 of an inch

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Is the cutting edge on your plow worn down?

5. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

i replaced it this season along with putting on the wings.

6. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

dont think there is anything i can do besides cutting down the hard plastic edge on the wings and i dont really want to do that

7. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

i dont use the skid shoes on the plow.Never have.I just dont like them.Maybe it would help if i did.I dont know everything there is to know about this stuff.I figured if the plow isnt touching concrete its not really doing its job?Maybe im wrong?

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I replaced the cutting edge and wing edges at the same time on my pro plus and I've never had a problem, I like my wings.

9. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

if you dont want to cut the rubber/plastic down, then just slot the bolt holes on the rubber/plastic and move it up

10. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

yes but do u take them off and just the plow then go back to the wings?

11. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

i may do thatJ&L

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I hardly ever take my wings off

13. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

thats what im saying.I have to at times on uneven concrete cause it s too wide with them on

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I never take mine off if you do the cutting edge will wear more then wings. Then you have problems like you are saying.
    If need to remove them here is one thing can do.

Remove the wing edges and install a 1'' rubber edge With the rubber it will flex and let the plow edge hit the ground.
    Or run OEM edges and never take them off.

15. procut

procut Senior Member

The rubber edges on the wings are pretty easy to cut. I replace the plow cutting edges and wing edges at the same time. However, I had to replace one on my MVP a month or two ago as the rubber on the passenger side wing some how came out. Anyways, the actual plow cutting edge was only maybe half way through it's life, so I didn't want to replace that. Bought one new wing edge from the western dealer, measured the driver side wing, scratched a marking in the new one with a nail and just cut it with a circular saw with a all purpose ripping blade.

I would suggest shaving that 3/4" off of the wing edges now to get you back to where everything rests on the ground.

I'm really surprised you don't seem to like the wings more. The guy that drives the truck of mine with the MVP and Western wings loves them; and I agree the wings really do make a difference. Like I've posted before I'm really surprised more guys don't use them, there well worth the $$ IMO. A lot of places that typically would take an hour to plow can be done in 40-45 minutes just by adding wings.