1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tony350, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I just bought a used wideout, to good of a deal to pass up. I was wondering a few things about it. It has the two plug setup one 11 pin, and one plug with four plugs two for the 12 volt power and two small ones for the plow controls. I am assuming this is the new fleet flex wiring system. It has a control module and solenoid on the plow pump/motor housing out on the plow. The controller isn't number but it says it has the security guard feature.

My questions are I remember reading about the new fleet flex system and being able to program the controller. Does this system sound like it is the fleet flex, and if so how do you program the controller? I would like to eliminate the soft stop and go back to the instant float like the joystick.

Also wondering if anybody has seen or has any ideas on making a hinge type back drag bar for the wideout's. Thanks again.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The wideout and MVP have been the same "fleet flex" since the wide out came out in 07.

Soft stop and float have nothing to do with each other. To active float, hold for .75 seconds. The soft stop is for the swing, believe me, you'll want it.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am used to the joystick and have used my dads ultramount with a straight blade and the hand help and hated the soft stop and the letting the plow hit the groung and holding it until it went into float. I know the soft stop and float are independent of each other but like having the option of having similar functions as the joystick.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta ya now, there's no way I know of. You may want to adjust the quill for faster drop.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I found the directions on westerns website about how to program the controller but I was wondering when they came out with that feature. Also if i want to be able to do that would I just need a controller or is the programming in the control module?

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

it definitely is at least partially the module. the 44354-3 is the current one. it's been out awhile. my understanding is that it has to be that '-3' version for it to have the secure guard features.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Yeah it does have the security guard feature on it, so would that also mean the float and smooth stop are programmable?

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, I would think so.

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help time will tell can't wait to get my new truck, I sold mine already so no truck for about a month. Once I get it mounted I will know for sure. Thanks again.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you not like the soft stop?

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I learned on the joystick so that is what I prefer. I also like it when I am trying to get the blade straight for backdragging, that when I let off is stops no delay. I am sure I would get used to it but if it is an option to have what I prefer then awesome.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I love the joystick too. To get it straight I just put it all the way left or right and then back to straight. It is a PITA trying to line up 1 wing with the other. The hard stop was good for knocking the snow off the plow but the poly seems to be better for that.

13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It is a wideout I meant straight with the garage door I see what you mean with a V plow

14. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

With a plow as heavy as a Wideout, take the Soft Stop. Hell, I wish my 7'6'' straight blades had it.

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

to get an MVP+ lined up, just run one side all the way back with the wing button, run the other one all the way out, and they will be perfectly straight.