1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tony350, May 5, 2013.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Can somebody please explain whats going on with the western wideouts. I couldn't find anything out on the other thread. Also is the problem also going on with the fischer xls. Maybe Hugh from western will straighten this out for us. The only reason I am worried about this is because I am on the fence about getting new truck and probably plow, however if there are issues with the wideout I may opt on switching my current pro plus over. Thanks for all the insight.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the XLS would be less susceptible to the issue as it is trip edge and a completely different moldboard because of it. The Western issue is the cutting edge and bottom of the moldboard bending back I believe.

3. SnowManagement

SnowManagement Junior Member

Hey Everyone. I wasn't trying to ignore your questions nor was it any sort of conspiracy by Western. I became really busy this week with work. I did try going through the dealer and was denied. You're right, it never should have come to the point where I felt I had no other recourse than to go public on PlowSite. Hugh took notice to the post and called me about a few poor welds on this particular plow. This is an issue with MY plow, not all wideouts. I don't know anything about the edge being bent because I haven't experienced anything like that. Western was good enough to offer to replace the plow blade because the cracking on MY plow is an issue with the craftsmanship of these particular welds. Western has earned their very good reputation through many years of selling quality plows and my story should serve as a testament to their high standard of customer service. You cannot go wrong with a Western!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Denied by the dealer. Did they tell you that you must have been abusing the plow?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I think most know my story about my two WO's. My dealer pretended to contact Western.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not that I would doubt DD, but SnowManagement, did you happen to notice a few other guys jump in and say they are having the exact same problem?

Also, the ripped or torn steel as shown in your pics were not a result of bad welds.

7. SnowManagement

No, I was not accused of abusing the plow but felt it necessary to explain that it was not abused because that(abuse) would have been the obvious rebuttal. For all I know, my dealer did the same thing and pretended to contact them...within 24 hours the dealer called me with a tactless reply: "They said too bad. It's outside of the 2 year warranty." I highly doubt that is exactly what Western would have said! I did notice others having similar problems, but without pics it's hard to say how similar. It was explained to me that the cracking on the frame was due to bad quality craftsmanship on these particular welds. It was also explained to me that the cracking on the wings is common and is a problem with the design. Also, that this will most likely happen again on the replacement plow. This is something that I highly recommend Western corrects. The positive side, if there is one, is that the wings aren't terribly expensive to replace and those cracks haven't caused any other issues nor have they affected the productivity of the plow. This WideOut still pushes more snow and is more efficient than most other plows out there. You can charge more per hour and over the long run this plow will make you more money...that's what it's all about. I have learned that all plows have their ups and downs. For example, the blizzard has much thicker steel and none of these issues, but it is extremely heavy, harder on the trucks and has it's own issues. At least the WideOut doesn't get stuck on or off the truck like the Blizzard nor will I have to replace switches all the time. There are obvious trade offs. Now, if western gets the wing cracks resolved the WideOut will be the perfect plow!!

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You're right, both have there plus and minus and the WO is a great plow. I do believe there is room for improvements and I've voiced in person and in series of emails.

Hugh is a great guy to deal as with others in the DD organization.

9. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Hey Tony,

Received your message, called your phone and left you a voicemail with my office number and cell phone. Please give me a call when you have a chance....any hour of the day for my cell phone will be fine.

Thanks!
    Hugh

10. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Hey Roger!

Thanks for the positive comments here on Plowsite! I am going to work with engineering on the wing cracks to see how we can mitigate this opportunity. As stated in your post, the cracks in the wings where the hinge is welded does not cause any issues with function and/or failure. In addition, since you mentioned Blizzard and the switches, we just finalized a product update on the toggle switches to eliminate water ingression, which caused the contacts to corrode. The new service kit has a "Plug and "Play harness adapter that has 2 completely sealed connectors for the switches....just thought you may want to know.

Thanks!
    Hugh

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't really keep up on the current DDizzards, so I'm assuming this is a post DD buyout Blizzard issue? Or are you referring to short chaining?

I have never had one stuck on or off a truck. I've replaced a few Power Hitch switches, but that was due to getting damaged, not wear and tear and it never left me without a plow. But, I have almost all Pre-DD Blizzards. The only post-DD are 8611's which have remained the same.

Actually, I have had Blizzards stuck on trucks, but that was a result of POS Ford 6.0 and central hydro systems, never the plow.

12. SnowManagement

Hugh-you're very welcome. I am glad to hear that the Blizzard issues of the past have been corrected. I used to run Blizzard plows and fell in love with the technology...my only issue was the switches. When the first switch broke off at midnight I was stuck with no way to get the plow hooked up to the truck. Eventually I kept extra switches in the truck. Never had an issue with a breakdown, but imagined that if I did I wouldn't be able to "short chain" it and drive it back to the shop. That is exactly why I made the move to a WideOut. Both Very Good Plows in my opinion...and Yes, the Blizzards I had were Pre-Douglas Dynamics. How costly is it to update an older Blizzard with the new "Plug and Play"? Hugh, I will let all of my fellow Blizzard owning contractors in on the good news.

Thanks again,
    Sincerely,
    Western Customer For Life!

13. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Hey Roger,

The new dual "Plug and Play" sealed switch harness adapter is Listed under $25.00...I think this is a very reasonable price to protect the toggle switches, improve the product, and increase uptime! The kit is so easy to install....if you have a side cutter and crimping tool, you should be able to upgrade in just a matter of a few minutes. The Blizzard part number is 69900...pass it on to your colleages that own a Blizzard plow and I am absolutely positive they will love the update! Thanks again for your positive posts, and as always......thank you for your business!

-Hugh

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Huh, that's weird.

Especially since I have pre-DD Blizzards that have needed no welding and have not had any cracks like that. Or had problems with the Power Hitch as you noted.

I've had many wings and slide boxes bend, but never tearing of steel like that.

If it works for you. Be interesting what another 3 years and a brandy new WO brings.

15. SnowManagement

Sorry if I was unclear. I have had NO problems with bending, cracking or breakdowns nor have I had to weld anything on any of our older Blizzard plows. The ONLY issue I had was with the switches corroding and that has since been corrected. They are, in my opinion, solid plows!

16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I did talk to Hugh and I will agree he seems like a great guy to deal with. He also let me know that the tearing wings are fairly common but haven't become an issue or causing a failure. Glad everything worked out with your plow snowmangement.

17. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Roger and Tony,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to Western products! As Tony had mentioned, the minor cracks on the wings is not uncommon after a few years of usage. The cracks themselves are merely more cosmetic than structual and does not create any kind of failure to the fit, form, or function of the plow. These minor cracks are created from the tremendous amount of force and weight on the welded part of the hinge within the wing assembly. The WideOut plow is a tremendous piece of snow equipment and has proven itself for many years in the field and will save time and money through the effiecency they provide over a straight blade. In the very near future, I will work with our team of engineers to see what we can do to mitigate these cosmetic cracks, but I assure all of you that the plow is solid as a rock and we stand behind the quality of the products we build. Thank you again for your business, and I hope we have a very snowy 2013/2014 winter season!
    -Hugh

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 MVP Plus and have been very happy with them. I bought a 2012 2500HD and considered putting a wideout on it in the fall.

If these cracks are only cosmetic then how do they occur. The way I understand this is if it is cosmetic then that area of the plow is under very little strain, if this is so then why are there cracks? I just sold a 9 year old Blizzard with no cracks at all, other then the paint it was close to new.

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

So, assuming they're cosmetic, nothing needs to be done with them.

Why did they give SnowManagement a brand new plow if they are only cosmetic?

Also, very strange that most if not all of those cracks are near welds which leads me to believe that they aren't cosmetic.

Then again, what do I know?