1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Terry R, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

What are your guys' thoughts on these? Like, dislike? Any troubles with them? We have a few apartment complexes and last year we ran into some trouble with some deeper snows and plowing cars in. We were thinking of trying one of these to help take the snow to the ends of the runs instead of just plowing cars in. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

its a great plow.

plow the middle first, then plow the sides into the middle and you wont have any spill into cars or under their bumpers.

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Have you tried wings on your current plow?

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Wings or a Vee. Otherwise yes, a Wideout would really help with those lots.

5. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

ditto... I had a big condo that I did last yr... longest run was1/2 mile straight....

6. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

use one in a mall parking lot for the same reason, works great

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

just like you would go around a building a half blade or blade width away from the building first pass and then second pass go in close. yes its an extra pass but you will have very little ever spilling out against the building or sidewalk. many dont do this.

8. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I use a Western Wide Out and prefer it over any Vee. Able to push more snow per pass over a Vee. Scoop more snow in the U shape over the Vee. The Wide Out is 10ft fully open and angled over the Vee. Only draw back I noticed was that it leaves a thin layer of snow on the ground due to how the outer blades extend. Not a perfectly clean scrape.

To all of you wondering. Yes the Wide Out fits on my Tundra but not used due to the weight. Reason the HTS was purchased. Looking at another truck to accomadate the Wide Out.

9. Cariboo

Cariboo Junior Member

The Wide-Out is great for what you are looking for. I use it for large commercial appartments and car dealers. It is also great for small driveways and mile long cabin roads. Being able to go from 8' to 10' or anywhere in between is a huge help. Saves about a third of the time over our 8'6" straight plow. I am having an electrical issue with mine after only the second year, but that is the mount not the plow.

10. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Cariboo

Do you not notice that the Wide Out does not get to bare ground unlike a straight blade?

11. Cariboo

Cariboo Junior Member

Because of the wings if they are extended to the 10' it wont contour to the ground as well. They are a poly almost 2 inches thick instead of steel like the main blade. Also when retracted to 8' because they are so thick it doesnt cut as well to start. over time they wear down and it does cut better. A straight blade does cut closer in some applications but the 1/2 inch does not make a huge difference to my clients when I can give them the pricing benifits from increased time savings. It is a HEAVY beast. Even with my 2005 F350 Diesel I had to install a leveling kit and air bags to the front to properly carry it. I also need 1000+ lbs in the box to not slip with the engine and plow weight lifting my back end. But I still havent found a better plow and the wings are great for getting clients, they like how it works.

12. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Thanx for all the useful input. I have a Wide Out and searching for another truck as more larger commercials are coming my way. My ex boss used his 250 Super Duty with his Wide Out.

My residential clients are all monthly so they expect nearly perfect driveways and pay well for this. So a Wide Out would force me to get out and touch up my shovel....

13. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

hinged back blade... or an Ebling 16footer would even cut ur time down on your other lots