1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western wideout vs. fisher xls?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by miltonplower, May 4, 2009.

1. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

is there any differance between the two?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

the biggest differance is trip edge on xls, and trip moldboard on wideout.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

they are both made by the company and are pretty much the same except for hook up and how they trip like snocrete said

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

From what I have read here and other forums, the Wideouts is prone to damage on the lower gusset / ribs / bracing, or whatever you want to call it. I think there was even a thread on here with photos.

From what I understand the the only reason the XLS avoids this is the fact it has the tripe edge design, letting the trip spring absorb the blow rather then the lower moldboard, but I could be mistaken.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

There is more weight on the cutting edge with the XLS, so it cleans better (yes there are scale slips to prove it). The other plus to the XLS is that it rolls the snow better then the wideout.... The shape of the plow is slightly different. If you buy either plow make sure to get the polar edges for the wings from Jerre. Without them you will spend enough money to buy another plow just on replacing edges.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

This maybe an ignorant question...but who is Jerre? I dug up some of his work on Google last night but I take he is amongst us here?

7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

And what are these polar edges you speak off?

8. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Both are good plows but it is correct that the Fisher XLS is a trip edge plow (just the cutting edge trips back) and becouse of that it is less prone to damage. The Minute Mount 2 is a little harder to hook up than the Ultramount from Western but still not to diffucult.Both these plows are built tough and if you are not a cowboy and abuse the equipment you wil be happy with either one of them

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre is among us, although he has been quiet here this year. As one can imagine this is his busy time of year. The edges are on his site www.jerres.com

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, that was the one of the ones I was thinking of the oher day but couldn't find.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What kind of tripping action do the XLS wings have?

I would have either plow over any Straight or V Plow, JMO.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

None, hence the poly edge. it will simply fold back then return if it comes in contact with anything it can't move.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Sorry, thats just not good enough IMO....."one" of the reasons I went with the wideout over the XLS. There are times last year when plowing, that if my wings didn't trip with the rest of the plow...well, lets just say the wings would have been trashed by the end of the winter......guess I'm hard on stuff:rolleyes:

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, hence the thread posted above. But hey, I guess thats why I went with an XLS over a Wideout huh. They all got there flaws man, to each his own.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree...... like I said, I would take either 1 way before a Straight or Vplow.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm glad to hear that...I have yet to play with mine in the snow yet. I'm looking forward to it.

18. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Has any one with a wideout thought about welding in some extra bracing in between the ribs on the bottom to help strengthen it up so they wont bend in like that? I know its a $6,400 plow and you shouldn't have to do anything but put it on and go but after seeing those pics i know I'm going to

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

well they are going to beef mine up. i will post back when i pick it up

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Go XLS...You won't be sorry...Built like a tank...payup